Monday, November 19, 2012

Day 31: Ramblings

So the day before break is always always always a relaxing day. Everybody is happier, lighter--and it just makes for a great day. Several of my freshmen were gone today so that in itself makes class seem easier--though they are genuinely a great class and I actually always miss the ones who aren't there.

 I've grown attached to these freshmen of mine.

But anyway, just before class was about to start I looked up and there stood Laurie. She had no reason to come--the mailout is complete, no more phone-a-thon to discuss. But she just bopped in to say hello.

Totally made my day.  I do like that girl.

And then after lunch Ricky came by for 'tutoring.' We were discussing his English grade and how he is only one percentage point from passing. So we went down the hall to talk to his English teacher, she found a way to add in some extra points for various things--and it all managed to bring him up to passing which translates into no more special study halls. He was so happy--grinning ear to ear.

Then Amy came and told me that Lisa is sick (both girls from Korea that I tutor) and they had to take her to the doctor. So I ran some books up to Lisa so she would have something to read over break and, as we were talking, asked if she wanted to come over for some 'chicken' noodle soup. She quickly said yes and so this evening I had Amy and Lisa for a soup dinner and then we watched My Sister's Keeper. These girls are precious.

And another major highlight of my day? At lunch Darian bopped in and we ended up having a quick but heartfelt conversation. Deep thoughts--and so. much. fun.  That conversation has hung with me all day. This Darianne girl...she's a keeper.

And then of course Jace says the funniest things. I could kick myself for not writing down his crazy statements over the years. But anyway...as we were coming home this evening from the grocery store, a Christmas song came over the radio and it sounded rather strange. I'm not sure what that guy ws doing with his voice. But Jace and I were just listening--quiet--when out of the blue he said, "Is that guy dying?"

No smile, no laughter. Just a statement. And it made me laugh.

Savana is home (before she leaves again to go with Guerin)  and I have plenty of salad and bananas (staples in this house-but they've been MIA for a few days) and the kitchen is clean and Sparti is asleep on my lap.

Pretty sure it's going to be a great Thanksgiving break.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I guess I've really gotten out of the habit of checking your blog daily. Cuz I hadn't read this one and it is already 3 days later! I'm thinking' you could have written a book on Jace's words - another "Kids Say the Darndest Things!"

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...