Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 30: The Way to My Heart

So today was the Thanksgiving dinner here at Pisgah--the day where the Student Association cooks the whole meal and decorate the tables with tablecloths and such--and then the food is served buffet-style. It's always a fun night and the food is delish. (It's rare that I don't think the food is delish if I don't have to cook it.)

So a lot of my favorite things about this day occurred at this dinner:
1) Savana and Guerin came. I didn't initially think they would make it as Savana has to head back to Southern today and I figured she would leave around 5ish. But as it turned out, they DID come. And I love that they did.

2) Drew sat with us. I absolutely adore that kid.


3) Drew pays so much attention to Jace and I can't even begin to say how very much I appreciate that. Not only does he treat him with kindness, but he actually 'hangs' with him--includes him and plays with him and laughs with him. And--as all moms, the way to my heart? Be nice to my kids.

4) Joy sat with us. I've known Joy since forever--literally almost 18 years now. Our kids grew up together as we lived in Wisconsin at the same time. And of course our husbands are close buds. Joy is witty and easy to talk to and I always love her stories. So when I see Joy--and it usually takes me by surprise as she works and works and works -- it always lifts my spirit a little, makes me feel a bit lighter. Because Joy is special like that.


5) I always love being with Roy when he is in his element. He's clever and he makes me laugh. So he and Rick sat down at our table about the same time and it was fun. It just felt right somehow--surrounded by people whom I am comfortable with and that I love.

(The only glimmer of sadness in this picture is that Darian was flitting around fulfilling her SA responsibiities and such so other than a few quick glimpses of her zipping by, I hardly saw her.)

It's actually quite early still--only 7:30. So I have the evening in front of me. I think I shall read a bit, work on Mom's scarf, finish putting up the laundry, and maybe even crawl into bed before 10:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...