Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 18: Arms Open Wide

I am racing the clock as we were in a late-night staff meeting until just now...and I contemplated just going to bed. But I can't. I know myself well enough to know that the moment I relent on blogging daily, I will find a million excuses.

So...

The main thing that is fresh on my mind tonight about my day? The tender hearts of moms for their children. We met with a couple of kids and their parents: poignant moments of moms being brave while their hearts are breaking. I understand their pain. I've been there. And? I could easily be there again. It's a tenuous path we walk--we moms. And this love we have binds us all together--a community of moms campaigning for our erring children and pleading for others to see their tender hearts buried beneath a heavy facade. Though they didn't realize it--and most likely never will--I cried with them tonight. And though I wouldn't call this experience joyful, it reminded me how similar we all really are.

Another joyful moment today? Lots of laughter in my office. One student came in...then another...and before I knew it, several were crowded in my little hallway office. It only lasted a moment, but for that brief couple of minutes, I basked in their joy.

And finally, I voted today. Though so many are passionate about who wins this election, I can honestly say I am just happy to be a part. I am proud that I live in a free country where my vote counts. There are many conspiracy theories out there but I am choosing to focus on my freedom and the bounty life in this country brings--even when the economy is struggling. Even when I personally am struggling. At least I know that, for what it's worth, the struggle is my own. I can choose to work hard, I can choose to find opportunity, I can choose to complain...Or--

I can choose to open my arms wide...

and be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Now that I'm in the classroom - for a week - I see the mom thing. There's a boy that's behind and a girl struggling to just hang on. And their moms care so much. I wish I could just wave a magic wand and make it all better. But I can't. And actually, there is joy when you see someone finally get it. It's such a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...