Friday, November 16, 2012

Day 28: Out of the Blue

So today was the big mail out. Four hours of stuffing, sealing, sorting and counting. I had six kids who were helping me as today was service day so they 'threw a few' my direction. Originally I rquested the kids that I know to be highly motivated--but then they all ditched me for the pet shelter. (I can't believe they chose cuddly puppies and playful kittens over folded paper and envelopes but...to each his own, I guess.) So our chaplain chose six random kids to help that I don't know too well--but they truly did a great job. I mean--not that mechanically sticking paper into an envelope is complicated business. But anyway--here's the story I want to share. One of the girls was really annoying me. I gave her the job of sealing the envelopes and I'm pretty sure she was racing herself to see which envelope she could seal the slowest. And then quite frequently she would text...and then scroll through her texts...and then text again. It was agonizing. I made a few off the cuff comments--just to let her know I was annoyed and ... really. Could you pick up the pace a bit? I'd like to get out of here before next week!

So about the time I was pretty sure I was going to snap on her and bring her life to a violent end (just kidding...kind of...), this girl started singing. And she had the voice of an angel. So here we are--seven of us--up to our ears in papers and envelopes and sealant and rubber bands-- and she begins to sing--soothing, from-the-heart singing. And the room was still. I mean--we were all still working. But  nobody spoke a word. We just listened as she sing an entire song at the top of her voice.

And suddenly I wasn't annoyed anymore. Not at all. This girl who initially drove me a little crazy worked her way into my heart so that, in the end, I could hug her and tell her--with absolute sincerity--thank you.

Secondly, my nephew Jared texted me today--completely out of the blue. But the purpose of the text was to tell me that he received a high 'A' on the essay he wrote that I helped him edit. And genuinely that was great news. I am so happy for him. But the part that I loved the most about that text is that he initially told me that he was my stalker. So I replied that he could stalk me anytime. And then he said--I think I'll take you up on that.

It was just sweet--and it made me really happy.



And thirdly, Roy and I have looked forward to this evening all week as we both knew it was going to be rather crazy. I had the phone-a-thon and he had the elementary gymnastics clinic. So to celebrate that it's OVER and the weekend is finally here, we went to PF Chang's followed by Barnes & Noble. And honestly the whole evening was just so relaxing and enjoyable. We took our time, chatted, ate the most delicious food. And then when we got to B&N, I read and devoured as many bits and pieces of books as I possibly could in 45 minutes time (as that's usually the extent that Roy can handle the book store).

So on our way home, Jace made the comment that he would love to take a bubble bath when we got home, and I said we didn't have any bubble bath. And then whattayaknow...Roy took a right when he should have gone straight so I said...where are we going?

And thirty minutes later Jace was literally up to his head in bubbles.

1 comment:

  1. Goodness! i just love reading your blogs! You didn't tell me the end of that envelope story! That's super cute. and I'm pretty sure I know who it was hahaha and i also love the Jace's bubbles story. He does the cutest things.

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...