Thursday, September 1, 2016

Letting Go

Yesterday I mowed.

Mowing around here is a big deal because the yard is huge. And there are lots of trees with big roots that one has to maneuver. And so, I made wide circles around the places that looked a bit treacherous and left them for Roy which, of course, made mowing quite enjoyable! No navigating...just around and around, watching the circle get smaller and smaller...

I love mowing--always have. I don't even mind pushing a mower. There is something satisfying about a clean shaven yard, the earthy smell of grass wafting up, the backdrop of blue sky.

Once I "finished" the back portion, Roy took over and I headed over to the track to meet Tami so that we could get in our 3 miles. She was a tad late arriving and so I walked the path alone for a bit--just Piper and me--walking a 3/4 mile track that has a large loop followed by a smaller one. We used to walk the roads but the sun sets earlier now and it's pitch black by the time we're done. And so, we've opted for a safer setting.

As I walked the loops--enjoying a bit of "me" time--I thought about a phone conversation I had earlier in the day. On September 16 I am hosting an event in Orlando for SWAU Alumni and we recently sent out invitations. One of our alumni received the invitation and called to RSVP.

And then she said, "Do they have any job openings in Texas for teachers?"

The question took me by surprise, made me shake my head a bit. "Do you mean in the Adventist system?" I asked.

"Yes, I am wanting to relocate and was hoping I could find a job there as a teacher."

"Oh!" I said. "I would recommend checking the NAD website as they list their job openings there."

She assured me that she has checked it several times but nothing is listed currently.

And so I said, "I totally understand your position. I was there a few months ago. So I am just going to make a suggestion. Tell God the desire of your heart, and then let go."

We talked a bit more about it, and then she said, "I am so encouraged. Thank you."

It was one of those conversations that doesn't happen very often--one of those off the cuff connections that one doesn't see coming. And truly, I am normally not so bold, especially with someone whom I don't know. And I am not patting myself on the shoulder, like -- look at me saying just the right thing.

Because normally?

Normally I stumble.

Normally I have no words.

Normally I have no answers.

But the past year has taught me...again...that stress about one's future is a waste of energy.

That the desires of our heart do not go unnoticed.

That we must keep our hearts open for opportunity--

    Our eyes open for those uncanny coincidences...

And then let go...

3 comments:

  1. Oh that was so good and inspiring. I bet you helped her sssoooo much. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I beg to differ - during my "year" you ALWAYS said just the right thing. So whether you know it or not, you don't stumble! You were God's words to me time and time again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that "having gone through it" gives us the wisdom to help others. One of the little perks for hanging in!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...