Thursday, July 12, 2018

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are several other factors too but that was at the top. It made me realize how important it is to be purposeful about creating deep friendships in my life.

When it comes to deep friendships, I’m pretty darned lucky. I realize that. I have so many amazing friends that I simply adore, and I live by my sisters who are absolutely in my circle of “reliables.” The other day, I installed an app called ‘Marco Polo’ that allows one to video-chat with friends who, too, have the app. It’s not like FaceTime where you talk simultaneously but, rather, I create a video for a person, and then they respond with their own video…and so on. It’s kind of fun.

Anyway, once I added it, I immediately had some welcoming videos from a couple of people whom I simply love so much: Lillian and Jamie. Lillian is Savana’s sister-in-law. We’ve always been good friends (though I could practically be her mother), so it was such a delight to hear from her. We’ve chatted back and forth a few times and caught up on the facts of our lives as well as the good stuff. And the good stuff? That’s the best part. You know - the things that bring meaning to our lives.

Jamie was a student from WA back in the early 2000’s. In fact, she graduated just before Jace was born - if that’s any indication of how long ago this was. But Jamie quickly wormed her way into our hearts and lives and became like one of our own. So we too have had several videos exchanged between the two of us over the past few days. 

This app was a beautiful reminder of the amazing people I have in my life that create meaning and love. So much love.

But yesterday? Well yesterday I had a visitor who spent the night at my home. And this visitor? She is one of those people whose connection runs deep. 

I met her eight years ago as I was meandering through a home that we were most likely going to move into. She saw me in there, knocked on the door, and introduced herself. And the moment we met? I felt an instant connection.

I knew.

And sure enough. 

We quickly became fast friends:
   regular lunch dates, 
   laughing together, 
   talking about hard things, 
   talking about easy things, 
   talking about all things.

And then, six years after we met, we Seals moved here to Texas. 

And you know how that goes, right? Lives that were joined together — church and friends and activities and community — are torn apart by distance. It’s an inevitable result of moving away.

But once in awhile, life brings diamonds to our lives that sparkle and shine in the midst of the mundane. And this past 24 hours?

Well, diamonds glittered.

They glittered everywhere.

Thanks for coming, Tammy. 


It was perfect.


1 comment:

  1. And now I’m SOBBING! Such a great almost 24 hours. Rare for friendships like these to come along! We are blessed! And I love you so, so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...