Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 24: A Good Tired

I am absolutely looking forward to going to bed tonight!

It has been quite a day that started by arriving at school at 8:30 this morning so that I could meet with Ricky and just now getting home--at 9:30 tonight. Between teaching and tutoring and organizing and the phone-a-thon, it has been a full day. So now I'm tired--but it's a good tired. I have enjoyed this day--immensely. I will be quite happy to have this week come to an end but...overall? It has been productive. But gosh--I couldn't do it without Tammy and Laurie. I'm reminded of that every single night. They are lifesavers.

A definite bright spot in my day occurred around noon today. Roy was in the midst of his gymnastics clinic so I was going to run to town and grab him a tea and a burger from Sonic as he only had a few minutes for lunch--not enough time to run home. And since I was in the midst of my own craziness at school, I didn't want to take the time to cook. I am just over it--and when I'm busy? I'm really over it.

Anyway, I ran home quick to grab my purse etc and just a I was backing out of the driveway, I noticed a message on my phone. Usually I have a 'you have a message' signal on my phone for days on end, but this time I was intrigued. Whose call did I miss? So I --quite by chance -- decided to listen...and it was Roy. He got finished earlier than expected and had about 45 minutes for lunch so...he could go with me. We ran into town together, caught up on each other's news, filled the car up with gas and got back just in time to hit it again. But? It was a nice surprise and it made me very, very happy.

Another rather amazing part of my day? This afternoon when Jace got home from school, he asked me what time I was leaving to go back to school. When I said--5:45 or so--he very casually said, 'Okay.' He wasn't bugged about it, didn't beg me to stay home, didn't act annoyed or even slightly disappointed. It was nice. I didn't have to leave and feel just a tad guilty that he couldn't quite survive as successfully without me. I could actually leave him at home and have peace that he was just fine.

And even though this was nice...it made me just a little sad. Because truth be told, this boy of mine is growing up.

So tonight when I walked outside, I was surprised to see that it is raining. And I couldn't help but think that it's the perfect end to a rather long day. There is nothing quite so fabulous as going home, curling up in my bed with a book as the wind blows and the rain falls on my window...and falling asleep.



1 comment:

  1. I can relate to being tired. I am so not used to being in the classroom that I am shot at 3:00 in the afternoon! But it is a good tired! And I love the rain which we had on Sunday - a great, thundering, stormy rain. But last night the cold came in - the 20's - and I loved waking up with my nose cold but the covers so warm and cozy. Then I got up and sat in front of the wood stove. I LOVE winter!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...