Saturday, November 17, 2012

Day 29: Friends Since Forever

Today has been spectacular--simply because it has been unevenful; mundane even. Nowhere to go, nothing to do, no agenda to accomplish.

Lovely.

So a major highlight of my day? I got an email from my good friend Jeannie from Wisconsin. It was newsy and long and I reveled in every. single. word. I even read it twice--just to make sure I didn't miss something the first time. Jeannie is one of those rare friends that, no matter how long it has been since we last spoke, when we get together it is as though no time has gone by. We had the privelege of spending a few days together in Tennessee during the national teacher's convention. We talked nonstop and spent as much time together as possible...so hearing from her today? It was a little bit of heaven.  She's a comfortable friend -- a forever type friend -- and I miss her. Very much.



Then this afternoon Roy asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in his trans am. But I was busy at the time--so I said no, I didn't really feel like it. He did one of his disappointed shrugs and then left...without me. And then about fifteen minutes later I thought...you know? I kind of wish I'd gone. So I called him on his cell, told him I wished I'd said yes...and less than ten minutes later he was pulling up in the driveway to pick me up. So I grabbed the scarf I am crocheting for my mom and away we went--Roy driving his car of yesteryear and me crocheting in the passenger's seat. Roy proclaimed there was "something wrong with this picture." But no matter. It was fun.

My day was filled with lots of great moments actually--just little things...like Laurie helped me fix my scarf. She's so handy when it comes to knitting or crocheting--and always helps me with a grin. I skyped with my sister Lori this morning and that always starts my day with fun conversation. Darian wore high heels so she was just as tall as me--standing tall and beautiful and young and vibrant. Savana and Guerin watched a movie with us this evening and just before they left Savana snuck back up the stairs and performed one of her classic dances that always makes her father blush...and me laugh... at this girl who has rhythm and no shame. Roy and I watched Straight No Chaser perform The Twelve Days of Christmas on youtube. Pure delight. And little Sparty curled up with Piper--so comfortable and relaxed--as though they've been friends since forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...