Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jan 17, 2013: Rare Jewels

For the past two days I have heard a lot about gratitude and the importance of counting off each day the things we are thankful for. And of course it reminded me of this blog...and once again I am inspired to try this again.

So today I am thankful for:
1) the fact that Savana came home for a long weekend. Gosh I miss this girl when she is gone. And she's in such a good place that she is just plain content and all good things these days. So having her home is a breath of fresh air. She is in the kitchen cooking or laughing at funny videos on her computer or chatting it up with Guerin or ...well, a million things. When she's here, it just feels a little more like home.

2) the fact that it's rainy and blustery and icy outside and so nice and homey and warm in my house. It's a perfect night for reading and blogging and sleeping. Love that.

3) I am completely caught up at work with all of my receipting and letter writing and all of that stuff. Ahhh. I've been trailing behind a bit since Christmas break but as of today? That's no longer true. And I am so very very glad. Tomorrow when I walk into my office, it will be a fresh start. Yay!!

4) Roy sold his trailer. I wasn't too concerned about it really. He's been wanting to sell it now for a few months as he has a new agenda that he's planning to invest in. (But that's a different story for a different day.) But anyway, he got a call out of the blue last night from a guy he's never heard from and he's not even sure how he discovered the trailer. And after lots of questions and discussion and such, the guy emailed Roy this morning and told him to consider the trailer sold. So Roy is ecstatic, feels a little lighter. But here's the thing that I'm grateful for out of this story. It just seems that when the timing is right, everything falls into place. No need to worry and fret and get bent out of shape. We just need to hold on, try to keep that inner calm and trust that, in the end, it will all work out as it's supposed to. And I really like that too. It helps me remember that yes, life is difficult and we all struggle and cry at times. But in the end God has my back.

5) I talked to Jeff--a good good friend from high school days -- this evening. He called to tell me that in fact he's sending the money for Darian's mission trip this next week so he hasn't forgotten. And then we just chatted for awhile. He's one of those friends that we can go months, even years, without speaking...and yet we go right back to where we were when we were eighteen. Nothing has changed. I mean--of course everything has changed. But where it counts--at the heart of things--we're still us. Still friends. And true friends are rare jewels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...