Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 54: The Little Things

1) Lunch with Tammy! Tammy has been gone for quite some time as she was taking care of her parents. She came home Monday evening and we had originally planned a lunch date for Wednesday but due to a change of plans, she was free today. So we went to Brixx--our usual lunch hangout. We talked nonstop and just had a good time in general. I'm so glad that she made time for me in her life today.

2) I said goodbye to Ricky this afternoon. I can't say that was a highlight specifically but it was a poignant moment. I will miss him so much--already do. The kids were flooding in my office to hug him goodbye and beg him to stay. He seemed a little sad as I'm sure it made him realize that he is genuinely loved here. 

3) This morning as I drove home from taking Jace to APCS I passed what used to be Lena's house and it hurt my heart a little. I love that girl--and I miss her. I miss our walks and our long talks and her friendship. Lena packs a punch--she's such a gifted girl and she meets life head-on. I am so thankful for her friendship. She's a girls' dean now and my bet is, she'll be one of the best.

4) Today when Jace got home from school, he said, 'Mom, I want a haircut. I would really like it now." So I drove him in to Fantastic Sam's. The entire time he was getting his hair cut, he sat totally still and completely quiet. A couple of times the stylist tried to chat with him but he barely responded. So she said something to me about what a quiet little guy he is. Haha. I assured her that he normally has plenty to say. Anyway, as we were heading home, I said--Jace, you need to be friendlier with people. You hardly said a word to her! He said--Mom, I'm shy in the beginning. It's just who I am. -- Basically he was saying--don't try to change me. And I won't. Gosh I like that kid. He brings me joy immeasurable.

5) It's the little things in life that make the difference. They all add up throughout the course of the day to something grand. And that's how today was--lots of little moments that together created a really good day: I spent some time talking to Rick in his office--always fun, Darian went to the dorm and brought my much-loved apron home, I called my dad and though it was a rather daunting conversation, at least I called :), on the spur of the moment, I tried to facetime Dee and she answered! Yay!! So we had a short conversation--but she's always refreshing to talk to, and Darian came home and had literally fifteen minutes before she had to leave again and I managed to make supper in literally ten minutes: prime stakes, masahed potatoes, green beans. Okay--so the potatoes were instant. And everything else came out of a can. But still...


2 comments:

  1. Really? Instant potatoes? That's so funny! I have never in my whole life made instant mashed potatoes! Well, maybe one time - but they were so awful, I never did it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love instant potatoes! haha. Way to open cans, Mom! You do it like nobody else!
    That Jace boy. He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...