Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 56: Winter

Today Roy and I took Sue to the airport. It  seemed so lonely walking back into my house after she was gone. I did thoroughly enjoy the past three days with my dear friend. It was so much fun having someone to laugh with and talk to about everything. And she absolutely loves my kids. She is so attentive to Jace and finds him delightful. That means the world to me. In fact, one day while she was here Jace was sad as he got up, anxiously awaiting eating his donut that he had been saving for 24 hours, only to discover that it had already been eaten. (I'm not sure why he thought it wouldn't be when he left it in the donut box on the counter!) He was so sad and was crying that he had been saving it, was sooo looking forward to it! Sue immediately empathized with him, explaining how she too hated it when that happened. And then she said, "Come on, Jace. Let's go to town and I'll buy you another donut just like that one." Of course, the tears immediately dried up and Jace sat there, quiet. After a few minutes he said, "I'm really sorry I threw such a fit!" Of course, Sue took him to town, bought him his donut, and he thanked her profusely.

She's a gem.

Here is what I am grateful for today:
1) Darian made a great big container of grapefruit orange. It's a simple thing but--it's a lot of work. And so so good. Mmm.

2) Jace rode his dirt bike--and he finally has shifting figured out. Yay!! He absolutely LOVED it. I'm so excited for him.

3) We're planning on getting a touring bike this summer. Roy is selling planes and such in order to be able to afford it. So I called my friend Jim who is a biker and he talked to Roy for probably an hour to help Roy clarify what kind of bike we get. (The only thing I am concerned about is the seat.) But anyway, I haven't talked to Jim in years (he's a friend from high school) and it was good to hear his voice. It's funny how, no matter how old, people still sound the same.

4) Roy and I went to Walmart while Darian stayed home with Jace. It's not a big thing really--but we always just have fun, even shopping at Walmart. I like that guy.

5) Today I'm thankful for hand cream. My hands are feeling the bitter effects of winter.

3 comments:

  1. I love that Sue did that for Jace, what a sweetheart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Sue and Jace story! Especially the part about him being sorry for throwing a fit! It made me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha. Sue is awesome! And Jace is so adorable and precious. I do love him so.
    Glad your hands feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...