Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 63: Inspiration

Ok--not going to lie. My favorite highlight of today? Realizing that Savana commented on my last post. Aw....Love that.

Other than that, here are the highlights:
1. Today I attended the funeral of Rick Anderson's mom. I can't exactly say that was a highlight as funerals are never fun. But it was absolutely a celebration of a life. Honestly, I've never met her but she raised an amazing son. And I read every word of the obituary. Twice. It talked about how she loved flowers, loved cooking, loved kids and often included them into the family. And as I read about this woman whom I didn't know but knew that, if I had, I would have liked her, I wondered about how my obituary will read. Sometimes--well, to be honest, oftentimes--I forget to live purposefully. I tend to let the responsibilities or even the selfish desires of my life dictate my day to day living. I don't want to get to the end of my days and realize that I spent too much time texting or facebooking or simply being lazy. I want to be remembered for more than that. So I was inspired today--inspired to make a difference; to make each day count for something beyond myself.

2. Tonight we had faculty meeting with Kathy. She brought us each a couple of books that discuss motivating students that don't want to learn. I leafed through them, looked at the activities and ideas that the authors suggest, and thought--I need to become a bit more innovative. We have so much at our fingertips these days--so many opportunities with media and such. I love teaching, love my students. I want them to gain something from my class that goes beyond the events of Romeo & Juliet. I want them to realize how capable they are--that they are only as limited as they think they are. I want to be more creative, more effective. I want so many, many things when it comes to the classroom. It's almost overwhelming really...but at the same time, it's exciting. It's a whole new world out there when it comes to education. I don't want to be left behind.

3. So today I saw this article on an Oprah Winfrey link about writing our own story. I really want to do that--I want to get 'my story' in writing. Honestly probably nobody will read it but me. Well, maybe my kids someday...but I want to get it 'on paper.' When we put things into words, it makes us think succinctly, put into words what we really believe or how we really feel about things. So much has happened--at least in my head--the past couple of years. Writing my story might help me make sense of it all. But beyond all of that? I think it would be fun. I'm weird like that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in a long meeting and spending the time reading your past posts. You are such a good writer! Loving it! As for #3 I think that is a good idea. I want to do that with my story and also to get some history from my parents and inlaws before I lose all that rich info. We should form a writing group and encourage each other to work on this.....

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...