Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Life of Learning

We are all teachers. I think that everybody has something to share, something to give--and if we are open to the "gifts" of others, we can learn from the people we encounter in our lives. I was thinking about that last night, and thinking about the different ways I have been changed forever because of things people have shared with me over the years. Here are just a few of them:


  • EBT (Emotional Brain Training) At first glance, this appears to be hocus pocus. I actually shared this program with a couple of friends who were struggling but when they checked into it they ran scared and that's okay. My amazing friend in every way Jacque shared this with me when we first moved here to North Carolina. It's a one year program that helps you process your emotions in a new way--teaches you to think from the prefrontal cortex of your brain which allows you to experience more joy than stress. It is a scientifically proven strategy that works. Oh my goodness. It has changed my life forever! I can't even begin to explain the profound effect EBT has had on me. There is no possible way to explain it properly in a paragraph so I won't even try but Jacque introduced it to me in a time of profound stress and I am so very very glad that she did.
  • My friend Tammy flippantly talked about how she and Bob got through med school financially one time by figuring out how much spending money they had each month and then dividing that by 30 and then giving themselves a daily allowance. The light bulb went off in my head and she transformed our financial life. Since moving to North Carolina Roy and I have been financially stressed as I have made less money than EVER--probably since my girls were babies--and it has been very stressful as I have two in college and one in elementary school. But since she shared this strategy, the stress is gone (well, mainly) as I've worried much less about money these days and we've made the almighty dollar stretch farther than ever before. Thanks, girl!
  • I just spent 3 days with my sister Tami. Oh my goodness. My heart is so sad this morning that I could cry just thinking about the fact that she is gone. Every time I am with her it is just sheer fun and I am reminded of the beauty of family. Somehow I don't think that God intended for families to be spread across the country but rather live together in the same communities--or at least in close proximity as nobody gets you or loves you like family. Whether it's my nieces or nephews or my brother in law or my sisters--they are all just somethin' special in my heart and it gets harder and harder saying good-bye. But Tami? She always teaches me how to let go. She seems to have that down pat. She seems to just shrug everything off--no matter. She sees the good in people and nothing seems to get her down. I am reminded of that when we talk or when we're together--just about every time.
  • My mom has many many strengths. But I wasn't exactly raised in an organized home. We cleaned the house faithfully once a week but the in-between times, we--at least in my memory--kind of let it go. So when Roy and I first got married, we had a lot of arguments about that. He was raised in a neat-freak home and I wasn't and neat-freak wasn't my style. Then I met the Schnell's. They moved in on a Monday and a few days later (like maybe three?) I went over to meet them and their house was unpacked, in pristine order, pictures hung. I was astounded. And so I sat at Kerrie's feet and learned. She taught me that she never went to bed with the kitchen a mess. She straightened the pillows on the couch before she left the living room. She never procrastinated a cleaning job. She changed my life. I'm by no means a Kerrie Schnell, but I am much, much better.
  • I could go on forever. I have been so blessed to have so many many friends and family that have blessed me with so much over the years. And my kids are nothing short of phenomenal teachers themselves: Savana with her style; Darian with how she embraces life; Jace with his wit. I have great parents. But I am short on time now and my day is beckoning. Roy is currently downstairs rinsing dishes and I know any minute he is going to be chomping at the bit to get started on this day and wondering why I am taking so long to join him. So ... I shall bring this to a close by just saying that today I am grateful for the "teachers" in my life and looking forward to many, many more years of learning.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that little flippant comment on money has come in handy for you!!! It's always worked for us!!! Less stress is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...