Monday, December 2, 2013

A Cup of Cheer

My girls left this morning at 4:30. They tiptoed in our bedroom, using a cellphone as light so they didn't trip on anything, came to the edge of our bed, whispered, "We're leaving now!" and then whisked back out as our sleep-filled voices echoed "Be safe!" behind them. They attempted leaving last night around 7:00, but Savana called me at 7:45. They were at exit 33--4 miles away from exit 37 where they started after 45 minutes of "driving" in dead-stop traffic. So they did a quick turn around and came home. They had Julia with them--a precious girl I haven't seen since she was about ten. Her family lived at Wisconsin Academy at the same time we did and they are now at Fletcher Academy, so she was riding with them back to Southern. So before I went to bed last night, I brought down a stack of bedding and gave specific orders for the girls to just simply roll out of bed and leave everything alone. I have the day off today and will have plenty of time to wash sheets, make beds, fold blankets--don't worry about it!

But this morning when I turned the light on in Darian's bedroom, there stood a perfectly made bed and perfectly folded blankets and a bundle a sheets to wash. The trundle was placed back underneath Darian's bed and her room is in pristine condition.

Those girls. They are somethin' special. Even at 4:30 in the morning.

So yesterday we put our Christmas tree up. I really felt like being a scrooge this year as we are traversing to Oklahoma for the week of Christmas. It's such a hassle--putting up all of the decorations and lights and the tree...and then taking it all down. But then Jace made the comment a couple of weeks ago, "I am so excited, Mom! It's almost Christmas and that's my favorite time of year! I love the lights and all of the decorations! And I can't wait to have our tree up! When are we going to put our tree up?? And then there's all of the presents under the tree and it's all just so much fun and I just can't wait!" So of course I groaned inside and smiled outside and said, "I know, Jace! It is so much fun!" And began the plans to forgo being a scrooge a few more years.

He is eleven so his childhood is waning. I need to make the most of it while I can.

So we chose yesterday as THE day to run to Walmart and grab a tree. We tend to be spontaneous about that sort of thing. I always admire families that go to Christmas tree farms and make a day of it but we have never made such an adventure. Maybe one of these days we will take the time...but we always seem to have too many "irons in the fire" and an entire day dedicated to getting a tree isn't on the agenda. So we found the perfect tree--which really is quite beautiful, I might add--paid for it, and then skirted over to Sam's Club. Darian and Jace were rather squished in the backseat as we had to put the backseat down in order to fit the tree in the trunk. Roy is a bit particular about things (strange, I know, as most people don't know that about Roy --kidding) and refuses to tie the true on the hood, so Darian handled the squished part like a trooper; Jace? Not so much. Then we ran into Sam's and bought this huge box of ornaments as I remembered that my ornament collection had become slim pickin's. Then we came home and got to work.

In the midst of all of that, Ryan and Chris, Darian's high school buddies, called and came over and entertained us while we decorated. They are so funny and silly and just downright great kids so it was a genuinely good time filled with lots of laughter and chatter and fun.

So now here I am--alone in my living room while the girls are off to school and Jace is sleeping upstairs. I ran up a few minutes ago to ask him if he'd like to join me and sip on a cup of steaming hot chocolate topped with whipped cream in front of the blinking Christmas tree, complete with quiet conversation and some Christmas music. What a perfect way to start your day! He rolled over and went back to sleep. So it's just me, the blinking tree, an empty cup of chai, my white kitty that isn't very smart trying to knock balls off the tree, and my iPad. But that's okay. We, at least, have the Christmas spirit.

So here's a cup of cheer...

1 comment:

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...