Thursday, December 12, 2013

Extraordinary Moments

Sometimes simple things are extraordinary.

Yesterday was just an ordinary day really--nothing spectacular. I did the usual things I always do on a Wednesday--I got Jace off to school, I went to work, I taught my classes, I ate supper in the caf. Nothing too different than normal.

But for some reason, the shackles fell off.

I'm not sure why but I was making grapefruit orange in my kitchen last night as the I have two new boxes of fruit coming next week so I need to rid my refrigerator of what's remaining. Jace was so excited to see me standing there in my apron, grapefruit and orange juice spraying every direction, as it meant lots of yumminess would greet him in the morning. And then Ed and Roy came bounding in, declaring they had a hot chocolate date and would be back shortly. Of course, Ed had to stay a few minutes to proclaim that he  wanted an apron so that he could play with a rolling pin and sugar cookie dough (the purchased kind as he didn't want to have to go to the trouble of making it). And then they left, leaving me with my sticky hands and a counter-full of fruit-shells and and far too many whirling thoughts....and then suddenly...a breakthrough.

And now I'm free.

And it feels so good.

When I picked up Lisa for tutoring yesterday morning, she came out to the car looking frazzled as she was running a tad bit late. Lisa is from Korea where teachers are treated with such respect. She holds a firm line between us but we have worked together now for almost two years so walls are finally beginning to come down just a bit. But it has been quite a piece of work to get where we are. She rarely to never shares anything personal. Sometimes I can tell she's upset but she will rarely tell me why because that, in her opinion, would be crossing a line. Teachers are there to teach. She has a strong value system and likes things just so. We are studying intensely now, however, as we are nearing the end of our time together. She is taking her final TOEFL test in mid-January so we only have 1 1/2 more weeks.

So, seeing her frazzled, I said on a whim, "Hey, Lisa, how about let's do a lesson in conversational English and I'll take you to Dunkin'. Are you game? My treat." Her eyes lit up like no tomorrow and she said, "Are you serious?" So off we went like two little school girls skipping school for the day and she chatted a mile a minute. I have never heard her talk so fast nor so much. It was absolutely adorable. And then, when I got to Dunkin', I realized.......

I'd left my purse at home.

She laughed.

Back we went to Pisgah, picked up my purse at the house, and drove back to Dunkin' for take-out instead of going inside as I'd originally intended. But when we got back to the school? She followed me into my office, pulled the chair that she always sits in when we tutor up to my desk, sat down, and chatted with me. "Do you mind if I sit here with you while I eat my sandwich?" she asked.

Are you kidding?

Lisa has my heart--has always had my heart, she just never knew it.

Sometimes our normal everyday days are filled with little moments that bring surprises that make life extraordinary.

And yesterday was one of those days for me.

1 comment:

  1. This is precious. You're such a great teacher and friend! She loves you! How cute that she wanted to stay and eat with you :) You made her day!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...