Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Whole Lot of Sitting

I'm a really good sitter. One time, several years ago, my sister Lori told me that the only reason I'm fairly organized and get things done quickly is so that I can sit.

Sadly, she's right.

Yesterday Roy had to drive the students all the way to Hilton Head--about a 4 1/2 - 5 hour trip one way -- to drop them off for Christmas break. He asked me if I would go with him and then, on the way home, he would take me to Huhots in Columbia which is about two hours from home for dinner.

That was a huge temptation.

Huhots is a restaurant that we often traversed in Missouri as it was everybody's favorite. It's a Mongolian grill which translates into so many different sauces and vegetables and noodles (and meats, I suppose, if you want that) that you pile into a bowl and carry to a grill. They fry it up in front of you and then you devour it with rice and it is spot-on delicious.

And so, since I seriously don't mind sitting, I tagged along. And? I really enjoyed the day. Nine hours in the car. I read my Nook, played a few crosswords, sent some text messages, talked to some kids, talked to Roy a lot, and did quite a bit of thinking. And as promised, we dined at Huhots.

What's not to love?

Along the way, one of the students shared with me her pain as she is about to graduate high school and dreams of moving to Texas and living with her sister, going to school there. But pursuing her dream means abandoning her mom and leaving her here, all alone. And as she told me this, tears streamed down her face.

Oh the pain of growing up and making decisions, of chasing dreams and leaving loved ones behind.

But there were two absolutely amazing parts to coming home. First of all just as we were hitting the freeway that leads to Candler, Darian called. She was ten minutes from McDonalds and so, we filled up the van and headed to McD's, getting there just as she did. Oh my goodness. She's mine for 2.5 whole weeks.

Fabulous.

And then? We walked in the door at 10:00. Jace had been in bed for at least an hour but he has a difficult time sleeping and heard us come in. I'm sure we sounded like a herd of elephants, laughing and talking and dumping luggage. He walked out of his bedroom, practically ran to me, threw his arms around me in a bear hug and said, "Oh Mom, I'm so glad you're home. I just can't live without you."

Does it get any better than that?

Before I went to bed, Darian and I sat on her bed until way too late. She filled me in on the latest goings on in her life and we laughed. A lot. Poor girl. She has my decision-making skills which isn't saying much. That's why I married Roy as he doesn't suffer from I Can't Make a Decision! syndrome which, of course, is a beautiful thing.

Maybe someday she will find a man who doesn't suffer from it either. But really I would just prefer that she figures out how to make decisions as it seems to be a life skill that comes in handy.

But I guess I will let her figure that out.

I will let her chase her dreams.

And meanwhile I will watch, from a distance (probably as I sit in my chair)...

smiling proudly--because no matter what, I know she will come out on top.


3 comments:

  1. love it! think of all you would miss if you couldn't ever sit still. And love how your kids adore you. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw how did I just read this???? I like this one ;) And yes…how fabulous it would be if I would learn to make a decision. my word. it's quite frustrating! haha And that is the sweetest story with Jace. You are such a good Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable--what Jace said. And how we all feel. :) You're a precious, precious mother. And a cute old lady.

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...