Sunday, December 15, 2013

So Much Fabulous

When I was a little girl, I remember traipsing with my family down by the creek on my grandparents' land and searching for the perfect Christmas tree. We would march around the banks, checking out different evergreens, my mom saying, "Duanie, what do you think about this one?" and then move on to the next. We all looked like a hodgepodge of characters straight out of Charlie Brown, colorful coats and hats and gloves and scarves that didn't match, and if there happened to be a hint of snow on the ground, we slipped bread bags over our tennis shoes then kept them on with rubber bands so that they wouldn't fall off.

Classy.

Oh the good ole days.

I was thinking about that this morning as I gazed at our tree that was purchased in a Christmas tree lot. It's Sunday morning--the first day of a week that brings so many good things: both of the girls come home for Christmas break, we have our staff Christmas party, we are finishing up our family Christmas shopping and then having our own family Christmas, and then on Saturday night we will take everything down and put it all away for another year because...

on Sunday? We are all loading up and heading to Oklahoma for a great big fat Oklahoma Christmas with the whole Nicholas side of the fam. Oh my goodness. I just can't wait.

I talked to both of my parents this week. Mom is so excited as she has completely remodeled her house and I can't wait to see how she has reinvented it. I know it looks adorable and she absolutely deserves this little piece of of goodness in her life. And I could tell by the tone in Dad's voice when he said, "Don't buy us anything. Your coming home is our Christmas gift" that he meant it.

I love this time of year. It's my favorite holiday actually with all of the bright packages and glittery ornaments and twinkling lights. I love the platters of sugar cookies and festive moods and cozy sweaters.

So much fabulous.

And so now here I am. Life has gotten busy in the Seals' home. The girls are making breakfast in the kitchen singing Hit the road, Jack. Don't you come back no more no more ...And then they will frantically pack up the truck and leave with me waving goodbye from the porch until I can't see them anymore as Darian has a final today. And even though I will see them again this week, tears will still stream down my face because...well...

I hate saying good-bye...even when it's just for a day or two.

But that's just how life goes. And chances are in a few years my girls will be bringing their kids home to where Roy and I live. They will be having their own family Christmas and then cleaning things up only to load up the car and travel to wherever it is we live. And I will be saying Don't buy us a thing, Dear. Your coming home is plenty enough for us.

Oh the cycle of life...it's a beautiful thing.


1 comment:

  1. That's sweet, what Grandpa said. And I LOVE coming home. Sure, for Guerin, but you guys are a massive treat. I want to live with you forever!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...