Monday, October 22, 2012

Day 3: Fleeting Moments (October 22, 2012)

So today I went back to work after Fall Break. It was good to be back actually--like those kids. And it's been an overall busy day.

So what brought me joy today? First of all, I would have to say I had to do a cycle regarding others' perceptions of my kids and this is my grind in: My kids are okay. It doesn't matter what others say; it doesn't matter what others think. I know in my heart of hearts who my kids are and, frankly, they are just fine. They are...okay. And that thought brought me joy. Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down by what other people think and to let those perceptions become my focus. But today I stopped that vicious cycle--if only for a moment. And that's a good thing.

Secondly, I spent some time talking to Laurie. Laurie and I are quite different actually--she's one of those people who is artsy and and quirky and fresh. I like her. A lot. She makes me laugh. She's cute and whimsical and real. I always enjoy time with her--whether she's showing me something regarding Alumni (as I now have her job) or helping me knit (as she started teaching me this last winter). This evening I was walking home from the track and she was headed to a board meeting. She stopped and chatted for a few minutes and, as always, it was a good time. It made my step a little lighter and my outlook a little brighter.

And thirdly, Jace came home from school and sat on my lap. He's been that way lately--crawls up into my lap and chats about his day. It's so sweet, and I know these days are fleeting. So for now, I will relish them--soak up every minute. And after he'd been sitting there for awhile, he looked up at me and said, "Mom? You know what? You're my favorite person in the whole wide world." Even writing this brings me joy. So much joy.

I hope he always fills that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...