Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 1: October 20, 2012


My goal? To blog about 365 days of how I am creating joy in my life. Welcome to Day 1. Let the journey begin.
So today I had company–real live people–over for lunch: Tina & Al Williams, Guerin (for Savana) and Rachel (for Darian). I cooked…a lot: cucumber & onion salad, cottage cheese loaf, garlic mashed red potatoes, brown gravy, hot rolls, corn on the cob, sparkling grape juice, lemon merengue pie, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. But best of all? Laughter. Conversation. It brought me lots of joy.
Secondly? I stopped and listened to Jace–really listened to him. Jace loves to draw cartoons, create stories, live in his own imaginary world. And then? He loves to read it to me. Now I recognize that sounds fun. I mean really–what mom wouldn’t want to hear their child’s imaginations? The problem is, however, that as he develops the story–one square at a time–he likes to read it to me: from the beginning…over and over and over again. So the first time it is hilarious, witty. The second time…it’s still clever. But by the third time? Enough already! But this evening I put down my Nook and listened as he read me his story from start to finish. And I listened as though I was hearing it for the first time. I laughed–and watched him revel in the attention. And honestly? It brought me joy. Lots of it.
And last of all? Oh my…what to choose. Watching the fish in my fishtank? (I love the peacefulness–always have). Getting in my jammies at 7:00 with an entire evening before me? Pure bliss. Or simply watching my oldest daughter standing with her boyfriend whom she absolutely adores–a look of pure joy on HER face. I’m not sure which one of these experiences gave me the MOST joy. All I know is…it was a pretty darned good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...