Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 5: Swings and Lists and Bits of Bliss October 24, 2012

I noticed today that I'm becoming much more purposeful at finding these moments of joy. I like that. I like that these few minutes scattered throughout my day sandwich life and stress and normalcies.

So today I took some time read outside on the swing. Every morning when I get up I actively determine that I'm going to create joy in my life. And then I try to visualize exactly how I'm going to do that. And every day I imagine taking my Nook and heading out to the swing to read--for just a bit. But every day passes and it never happens. But today? It did. It was chilly outside; however, the sun blared down on the swing and, as I sat there, enjoying the breeze, it put me to sleep. And so I went inside, took the stairs up to the mancave, and crawled onto the couch. Aww...blissful sleep. The house was quiet--just me, my dog, and the ticking of the clock. Not exactly how I envisioned my moments of reading on the swing, but...it was perfect.

Secondly, I decided to create a list of 100 things that bring me joy. I ended up spending quite a bit of time on the internet searching for websites or blogs from others of how they get joy. It was so much fun! I found some cool sites, signed up for a newsletter from Little Buddha that gives tips for creating simplicity in one's life, and stole ideas, created ideas, and wrote my list. It took me longer than expected, but? I loved it.

And last of all, Darian and I watched an episode of Parenthood together. Parenthood is one of those shows that is second to none. We live for new episodes of Parenthood! We've become so attached to the characters that we are both convinced that they are actual people. We cry with them; laugh with them; dream their dreams; experience their heartaches. That show is nothing short of perfection. And afterwards? We went for a walk. It was dark outside and chilly. So we threw on our hoodies and walked the parameter of campus. We talked about everything and nothing. We laughed. And for a few fleeting moments, we lived in the beauty of the moment.

It was ninety minutes of pure joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...