Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 4: The Center of My Universe



So...the highlight of my day? I got an email from Lauren Bongard Schwarz. Oh my. Love that girl. She is one of those people in my life who thinks, lives with purpose, is well-read, and expresses herself with ease. I taught her for four years but she has grown from my student to one of my favorite friends. Weird how that happens. But anyway, I wrote her randomly the other day and she answered me today: a long, newsy, thoughtful email. I soaked it in, read every word, and then reread it after I was finished the first time. She absolutely brightened my world today.

Secondly, when I got home from my class this evening, I suddenly had the urge to go to Taco Bell. That used to be one of our favorite hang-outs, but it's a place we rarely visit these days. But for some reason, the idea crossed my mind about the time I saw Darian. Normally, we don't have the opportunity to go out for dinner as Roy has rec and Darian has...well--a million and one things. But for some random reason, Darian stated that she was free, starving, and Taco Bell sounded like perfection. So we went to the ad building where Roy was teaching and he too proclaimed that he could go. He had to do a little manipulating but...he managed. So, off we went. And? Gosh it was fun. So much fun. We had fun riding to Taco Bell. We had fun eating at Taco Bell. And we had fun riding home from Taco Bell. Laughter. Good food...Ok. Maybe not so much. But it definitely hit the spot. Friends (as we randomly ran into a couple of different people there that we know). And the four of us. Splendid.

And my third moment? We had a teachers' meeting tonight at 8:00 and I walked over. It was dark outside and since we live in the mountains and no lights are on this side of campus, it is REALLY dark. But just those few moments of walking from the house to the ad building were refreshing. They gave me a moment to stop. To look up at the big big sky and remember that it's just little me in a bit universe; a big world. That I really don't take up that much space. That my perspective, in the scheme of things, really isn't all that important. And yet? It's everything. Because it's all I have. And that reality--that little bit of centering of my universe? It brought me joy.

And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...