Sunday, October 28, 2012

Day 9: A Blustery Day

So today has been a perfect kind of day. We had big intentions for the day actually: go to Sam's, go shopping with Darian...But as it turned out, it's rainy and blustery so we just stayed home. And normally that would be perfection. But I am working through this program that digs deep emotionally and I decided that, since I have so much time on my hands, today would be a good day to complete one of the exercises. So...suffice it to say today has been difficult at best in some respects. So that's the truth of it and I don't want to deny that. But with that said, there were some amazing moments. And here they are:

First of all, I did a ridiculous amount of laundry and put it all away. Inevitably when I fold laundry I think of my delightful friend Sue Nelson. Back when we lived in Wisconsin, Sue would occasionally bring me boxes of hand-me-downs. It always felt like Christmas as the clothes were in pristine condition. But the part that stands out the most to me is how perfectly she folded each piece of clothing: seams matching, straight lines. It was beautiful. And inspiring. And so I began to emulate her method of folding. And honestly, I always think of her now as I fold my kids' t-shirts, carefully matching seams, straightening edges, creating straight lines. It speaks love to me--taking my time and creating perfect piles. And, when it's all put away I can't help but feel accomplished. And--as long as there isn't just one more load of laundry in the dryer? It gives me joy.

Another highlight of my day is I slept in 'til 8:00 this morning. That's a rarity for me these days. But when I finally managed to drag myself out of bed and head downstairs, there was Savana: cooking breakfast in the kitchen. Oh my. Does it get any better than that? She made breakfast burritos--complete with tofu and hashbrowns. So delish. She's turned into a fine cook and the fact that I didn't have to lift a finger? Fabulous. I think I could get used to having my own personal cook rather quickly.

And one more little blessing to my day? Roy and I ran into town quickly as I needed to pick up some laundry detergent. I fully intended to clean the kitchen as soon as I returned but when we got home, Darian (with a bit of help from Jace) had accomplished it for me. It always feels a bit magical--leaving the house a mess and coming back to it sparkling. I love it when that happens.

So today? My kids gave me lots of joy. (And so did the potato-poblano soup that we had for lunch right along with some homemade cornbread.)

The effects of Sandy have arrived. The temperatures are much cooler, and rain is predicted for the next few days. I'm looking forward to some blustery days complete with reading, blogging, and Chai tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...