Monday, January 27, 2014

Dreaming

Recently I was talking to a friend of mine who is my age. She lamented that she feels so old--everything hurts. When I look at her life, I see so many good things; I see so much opportunity. And yet I know she struggles with depression--as so many people do.

And that makes me so sad.

This morning I read a quote that said this: Do you see the Universe as friendly? Or do you see the Universe as hostile?

And that quote made me stop and think: how do I see the world in which I live? Because the way we see it changes everything. It's a paradigm shift actually: we either view life as filled with sadness and difficulty and struggle...or we view life as a time for opportunity and laughter and giving. Of course, life is both--no doubt about it. And there are times in life when we all struggle, when we are flat on our backs.

But the question is, what do we do when we've had the wind knocked out of us. Do we roll over in despair? or do we struggle to get back up and chase our dreams? How much are we really willing to sacrifice when it comes to living the life we want?

For the first time in my life I have vision for my future. I have goals I want to attain, mountains I want to climb. But getting there? It's going to be a piece of work. And honestly...I'm scared. Sometimes my fear keeps me up at night, staring at a ceiling I can't see. Other times, I am filled with anticipation. It's a mixed bag of emotions, and at times, I am tempted to quit. It's just too hard; I like my comfortable life.

But I know in the deepest part of me that I will plow through, one step at a time...because this vision that I have? It is powerful.

And I want it.

I used to believe that God has this ultimate will for my life and that it's up to me to discover it. I don't believe that anymore. I do believe that God gives us dreams and then we are empowered to live those dreams. Life aligns in powerful ways sometimes, leaving us shaking our heads and telling others about the remarkable events that have transpired, letting us know that we are on the right path. But at other times?  It isn't that simple. Sometimes vision requires hard work and setbacks and determination and sacrifice.

I believe we live in a friendly universe. I believe we are all born to laugh and watch the sun rise as awe bursts within our chests. Regardless of whether I live in a third-world country or a country filled with technological advances, people are people are people. Everybody smiles; everybody craves love. And really--that's what life is about. It isn't about how much money I have or my social status. It's about finding satisfaction and contentment in the simple things of life that require neither.

I am sad for my friend who feels old and yet...she isn't. Life is far too short to stop dreaming, no matter your age. And if you find that you no longer have dreams? Well, that means that it's time to do whatever it takes to discover them. I heard not long ago that when we feel discouraged and a lack of motivation, it is time to ask ourselves questions to discover what we want out of life. Dreams are important. They bring passion and fulfillment in their wake. They give rise to purpose, power. And so...here I am, one step in front of the other, focused straight ahead...

dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...