Sunday, January 5, 2014

Saturday Afternoon Drives

Yesterday we went to lunch with a huge crew. It was so much fun chatting it up and laughing and eating great food at El Que Pasa with a total group of 16 members. And then once we got home, I got busy doing things I needed to do that I'd procrastinated and...my time was up.

One of our favorite Saturday afternoon activities is taking a ride in the car. It's a Saturday tradition that began when Roy and I were dating actually. Of course, the means of transportation has varied over the years. In the early years, we actually rode bicycles around the winding roads of Keene, Texas. There was this quaint little white church hidden back in this little nook that was about seven miles away. We would ride there on Saturday afternoon, take a few moments to gaze at it and just dream for a minute, and then head back.

And then we married and moved to Colorado. Our afternoon drives included Roy's trans-am and the Rocky Mountains. We'd load up and go, leaving all our cares behind in the dust as we blazed the winding highway up to Estes Park. It took our breath away.

In California, we found a back route to a little community nestled in the mountains; its name escapes me but I want to say it was called Apple Valley. I may be making that up. But I well-remember how the busy, crowded streets of California gradually faded into mountainous terrain, narrow streets, and rustic beauty.

No matter where we've lived, we've found a route that becomes our little piece of sanity every Saturday afternoon. We turn on some music and we talk the hour away. It's deeply engrained in our relationship--these Saturday afternoon drives.

But yesterday? I just couldn't go. And so Roy came upstairs and said, "I'm taking the trans am. I'll be back in a bit."

I said, "Maybe you should ask Darian. She may go with you!"

"She won't go," he replied. "She's probably already sound asleep."

"Just ask her. She may surprise you."

And so he did. And being the sweet girl she is, she readily agreed to tag along.

When they got home, Roy came upstairs and pulled up a chair beside me. He was beaming, so happy to have spent an hour talking heart to heart with his daughter. He proceeded to tell me all about their conversation and I could tell that it was exactly what he needed.

Yesterday I emailed a friend of mine who is hurting to ask if I could take her for "coffee" today, just to get away for a bit. (Personally, I can't stand coffee--but that's beside the point.) She readily complied, stating  I really need a friend right now.

Sometimes everyone needs a little time. Everyone, no matter who they are, needs to know that they are loved, cared about; that their burdens matter to someone else.

It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day, in the business of life, that we forget those little touches.

We all need Saturday afternoon drives once in awhile: some time to be heard, some time to have a voice, some time to simply get away.


2 comments:

  1. Aw! This makes me want to cry. That was such a fun drive. I am SO glad I went. And Dad and I really did have some good conversation. Your husband is one cool dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply precious. You're amazing!! And your writing makes me want to jump in my car right now!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...