Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Joys of Community

Today is the time change. So here I am in the mancave, drinking chai, while Roy watches Married with Children, and the leaves fall off the tree in my front yard. I'm watching them lazily drift to the earth out the window, making great big piles once again. You wouldn't know that we just bagged six huge bags of leaves on Friday by the looks of things out there. It's light outside--not the typical dark I am used to at this 7:00 hour. But I am so happy that an entire day stretches in front of me, filled with opportunity and living.

Yesterday, Jace said, "I am so excited that it's November! November means Thanksgiving and then Christmas and this is my favorite time of year. But when Christmas is over, I'm going to be so sad."

And then later I skyped with Jacque--this friend I've had since I was in high school. She was both of my sisters' friend first, and she knew Roy well, too--so when Roy and I moved to California pre-kid days, she was there. We instantly connected, spending weekends together and talking every morning on the phone while she got ready for work and I rocked Ciara. Our friendship grew by leaps and bounds so that when we eventually left California, she became a regular visitor in our home. And now we are on the other side of the states from her but we still talk regularly. If I were to name the three people who have made the biggest difference in my life, Jacque would be one of them. She is that amazing.

But anyway, Jacque told me that she and her new man Jaime are coming to visit in March over spring break or some time this summer--so much to look forward to.

Last night was annual hot dog roast where the church members and academy students all gather together at the community center, complete with hayrides and hotdogs and talking and bumping into people as we circle round the table filling our plates with more food than we have room for. But here's the thing. When everything was cleaned up, a group of 8-10 college students from the DC area who happen to be staying in the gym while they work with underpriveleged children in the community barreled in, hungry and unaware that they were so late. So Tammy, in her typical hostess-way, quickly heated up more hotdogs and everyone got busy getting more food together while they patiently waited. And then they formed a group and sang us a song from another language--so beautiful and thoughtful-- letting us know by their smiles and warm hugs afterwards how grateful they were for our willingness to accomodate them.

And so, Jace--yes December 26 will arrive. Absolutely. But no worries. Life is filled with so many good moments to look forward to...the comfort of seasons, the laughter of friends, the song of another, surprise visits, and the joys of community.

“Many of the most deeply spiritual moments of my life haven't happened just in my mind or in my soul. They happened while holding my son in the middle of the night, or watching the water break along the shore, or around my table, watching the people I love feel nourished in all sorts of ways.” 
― Shauna NiequistBittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way



1 comment:

  1. Aw :) Reading your blog was the first thing I did when I got up this morning :) You are such an incredible writer :) And I am really excited that Jacque is coming to visit! I love her too!!!! Cannot WAIT to be home next weekend!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...