Saturday, November 23, 2013

Fresh Eyes

I teach two sections of Freshman English in the afternoon. The first class has always been chattier than the second, a little sillier. When it comes time to get to work, I can depend on the second section to make it happen much faster. But yesterday I showed a video that brought up some deep ideas--things like we have so much to be grateful for and we really have nothing to complain about. The first section dove into the conversation, listening to one another and sharing together. It was insightful and inspiring and joyous to hear these 15 year olds think and discuss and listen.

But then I shared the exact same video to my second section--the one that is always on their game. As soon as the video started, one of the students in my class said, "Oh--I don't like her" and started looking around, refusing to acknowledge that possibly the things this person had to share went beyond her personality. A couple more students decided to draw and, though I'm sure they were listening, they weren't engaged. So when the video was over and it was it was time to share, the class had absolutely nothing to say.

A little bit later--still in the second section--I divided them into pairs and had them complete an activity over a story we read earlier in the week. Two girls in the back of the room busily slung their hair into each other's faces, giggling and giggling and giggling. "Are you two finished?" I asked. "Yep!" they confidently stated. I checked their paper.

They had barely started.

I sighed.

Some days are like that. Even in Australia.

But the thing is, when I think about these two sections, I always consider the second section the easy one, the compliant one. They are the section that lets me breathe a little easier, where I can let my guard down.

And all of that changed in an instant.

Sometimes life is like that. We meet people and we don't like them so much...and then we hear their story.

We really love certain foods...and then we hear how bad they are for us, and we never eat them again. (Okay...maybe this one doesn't work so much. But it was a good idea.)

We hear a new fact and it changes our opinion.

We see a picture of a hungry child and it spurs us into action.

We have a paradigm shift and see life through new eyes.

Life is all about perspective -- perspective that shifts and grows and stretches every day. Sometimes it's easy to become immersed in my own perspective, seeing life through these eyes that are 46 years old and a bit jaded. I have strong opinions (maybe everybody does??) and more often than not, believe in them wholeheartedly. Sometimes I voice them loudly; other times, I cling to them quietly, protectively--though nobody knows--while I simply nod and smile.

But the thing is, I want to be open minded. I want to see life through fresh eyes that are wide open to those around me so that, rather than instantly categorizing people or situations or beliefs, I take a moment to stop. I take a moment to think and see from their perspective, their eyes.

I used to be of the opinion that there was just one way to live life. I no longer believe that. And this new way of thinking? It has changed everything. It has opened my eyes to a whole new world--a world that is beautiful and fresh and alive.

And so on Monday when my first section walks through the door of the classroom...I will have new eyes: eyes that are open to their capabilities, to their depth, to their possibilities.

Today I want my life to reflect a welcoming presence--ready to accept those around me for who they are...to learn from them and grow with them.

Today I want my perspective to be wide open.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...