Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My Rainbow

Recently, I stumbled upon the 12 signs of inner peace. They are as follows:

A tendency to think and act deliberately, rather than from fears based on past experiences.

An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.

A loss of interest in judging others.

A loss of interest in judging self.

A loss of interest in conflict.

A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.

A loss of the ability to worry.

Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation.

Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.

Frequent bouts of smiling.

An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others, as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.

An increasing tendency to allow things to unfold, rather than resisting and manipulating.

I consider myself a peaceful person. I don't think that I go looking for conflict, that I try to stir up trouble, that I am unhappy. But when I read this list? I realize that I have a long way to go. I cannot say with total confidence that I have mastered a single one of these items. Not one.

But I am inspired. I am inspired to chase this rainbow, to confront who I really am and let go of the things that conspire against peace in my heart. I want bouts of smiling uncontrollably. I want to stop resisting and start accepting without manipulation. I want appreciation to well up within my chest and bubble out to all whom I encounter. I want to get out of my head and stop interpreting the actions and words of others because, really, they have nothing to do with me and everything to do with them.

This person that has this kind of inner peace? Wow. He/She is my hero.

This list?

That's my rainbow.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I want to live like that. I screenshotted them all. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list. The last one really hit me. I'm terrible at it. (An increasing tendency to allow things to unfold, rather than resisting and manipulating.) Much to ponder, because I want the rainbow too!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...