Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I've Lost My Head

Not even kidding: It's snowing this morning. APCS has a two hour delay.

It's a few days from being April 1.

Yesterday was beautiful outside, the sun brilliant. I would never have guessed that I would wake up to a snowy world of white. But that's okay...I'm not going to complain. Today is going to be a good day.

Lately I've become really forgetful. It's embarrassing. I feel like that Shel Silverstein poem where the headless character is proclaiming that he's lost his head and doesn't know where to find it. And so, he decides, he will just sit on this rock and rest awhile. The rock, of course, is his head.

That's me.

Yesterday was Pathfinders. For some reason, I have the absolutely worst time remembering Pathfinders every evening. I would like to be able to depend on Jace to remember...but that is clearly never going to happen. He has missed so many meetings simply because we don't remember to take him. In fact, a couple of weeks ago he missed the meeting because we forgot and was banned from a weekend trip to Nosoca. (It's a requirement that, to attend a trip, you must attend the meeting prior to the trip.) And so, Jace and I determined that we would make a diligent effort to remember every meeting from then on.

So yesterday morning we talked about it. Hey, Mom! Don't forget I have Pathfinders this evening! I told him I remembered too! Go us!!

And then my day turned into overdrive. Savana was supposed to leave for Southern at 6:30 that morning and so when I went into her room to check on her, she lay on the floor in front of her open suitcase, surrounded by folded clothes and other items that were waiting for her to pack them. She was miserable. She couldn't breathe; she couldn't talk; she could barely open her eyes. So I got her some hot tea, gave her motrin and Mucinex, and we waited it out. I called her professor at Southern to explain that this girl was so sick--definitely too sick to drive. Two hours later she was still absolutely miserable.

About the time I needed to teach my freshmen, we decided to take her to Urgent Care and so I spent the afternoon at a doctor's office. After the diagnosis of a throat infection (who gets a throat infection??), we headed to Rite Aid for antibiotic and then home where I practically shoved her out the door while we rounded the corner so I could go into Asheville and get a professional outfit for work. (That's another story for another day. But suffice it to say...I didn't have a choice.)

So by the time I was finally home, my mind was whirling from the day's activities: I hope Savana doesn't have pneumonia afterall; poor Kathy--I hope she survived teaching my freshmen; I wonder if that suit I bought actually looks good--why don't I have a fashion sense!; I should be helping Tammy and Beth and Amy fix up the alumni room--ggrr; ...and on and on and on.

At 7:00, Tammy pulled up and I whisked out the door to walk three miles with her and Macy, her gorgeous golden retriever (honestly the most beautiful retriever in the whole wide world). I am so happy that we can resume this daily treat when the weather is nice. We cover all topics as we zoom around the track and I always come home feeling refreshed in more ways than one.

And so, a little before 8:00, she dropped me off at the house and I waved goodbye as she drove away, all smiles. See you tomorrow! Thanks for that--so much fun!!

And then? I saw Jace.

Mom! We forgot again! We forgot about Pathfinders!

Kill. Me. Now.

All feelings of happiness flew right outta my head. What is wrong with me??

I'm not exactly sure how to solve this dilemma. I tried creating an event on my phone calendar but that has yet to work effectively (another long story). Clearly remembering in the morning isn't good enough: I need to remember in the evening!

And so, here is to another week. Here's to remembering every single day that Pathfinders is on Monday evenings...here's to figuring out what I can do to jog my memory at the right time; here's to a new start; here's to a dilemma I am absolutely going to conquer. Here's to good friends that are there when you need them.  (Hey, Tammy? Could you remind me from now on that I need to get Jace to Pathfinders on Monday evenings?)

Cheers!



3 comments:

  1. YOU ARE SO CUTE EVEN IF YOU FORGET THINGS I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. Oh and I'm kind of jealous. I want to lay on the floor and have you feed me and make me feel better and mother me all up. I think i might be getting sick….;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on this one. I spend lots of time headless....and the rest of the time trying so hard not to forget anything that I'm stressed out. I put stuff in my paper calendar, my work computer calendar and set the alarm on my phone. And still forget! Working moms have too many balls in the air to juggle. Just be kind to yourself, and think of all the things you DID remember today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most beautiful Golden ever? I'll remind you of anything, anytime!!!! Monday nights - got it!!! But just remember this - you gave birth to your brain when you had children. All us moms have this disease! Just bask in the brains THEY now have! :)

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...