Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 38: It's Wednesday

It's Wednesday. I am always thankful for Wednesdays as I don't have to cook. Jace and I usually walk over to the caf and even if it's a leftover-type day, I don't have to do dishes; I don't have to figure out what to make Jace and Darian; there's always good conversation. I mean--there's nothing to dread really. So today? All of the above happened: walked to the caf with Jace, ate leftovers, didn't do dishes and had good conversation. What's not to love?

Secondly, Tammy came into my office this morning while I was teaching and entered 2/3 of these forms that I need to update on our database for me. Oh my--that's spectacular. This huge stack has been sitting there for a couple of weeks now and I haven't gotten to it...and haven't gotten to it...and then today she did. So now I can finish up quickly and that is a beautiful thing.

Thirdly? While Tammy worked, Beth G and I chatted. And then Beth A. came in...and we all decided to go to lunch together. We went to IHOP and it was a genuinely good time. Love those girls. I'm thinking we need to do that more often. Actually.

Fourthly, my freshmen complained recently that we never do anything 'fun' in class. I found this rather disconcerting as in my humble opinion, every class is fun! But as I reflected on the semester after that statement, I realized that, in fact, we haven't had a single class where we just kicked back a little and did something creative and a tad more relaxed. So today we did just that. I brought in four loaves of pumpkin bread and a couple of bags of creativity: glitter, glue, various types and colors of paper, markers, etc..., and twenty kids went to work turning their short stories that are due in final draft form on Friday into children's books. I turned on some Christmas music and though, admittedly, I'm not convinced much work went on, we had a good time. (Sure hope the classes next door had a good time too.) But the best part? My freshmen were so happy...all smiles and chatter and bright eyes.

So it isn't even 7:00 in the evening. The Christmas lights are on, it's toasty in my house, and I'm looking forward to an entire evening of reading and watching Parenthood with Darian and maybe even watching something on tv.


2 comments:

  1. You're ba-ack! What a beautiful Christmas tree - you almost inspire me to put one up. And lunch at IHOP? What do you eat there for lunch? And you are also a very inspiring teacher - you almost inspire me to want to get back in the classroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See?! That's why you're the most amazing teacher ever. You are sooo chill and creative and let everyone have such a good time :)

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...