Sunday, January 22, 2017

All There

I am home from a whirlwind trip to California. It was fabulous. Here's why:

  -I spent time with Jacque. We had some great conversations, ate some amazing Thai food, laughed a lot, and just enjoyed every minute together.

-I saw my adorable nephews, Nick and Trevs. Oh my word. Those boys...I love them.

-I had a very successful alumni event with 47 attendees, a great venue, excellent food, and exceptional service. #ForTheWin

-Friday was all about torrential rain from the moment I got up until I went to bed. For the record? I love a good storm. It was perfect. As a result? Jacque and I caught up on Nashville and This Is Us -- two of my all-time favorite shows.

I got home yesterday around 1:30. Roy picked me up and took me to dinner-- our very favorite thing. And then we came home, I unpacked, and we chilled for a bit. And then that evening, we joined Tami and Chas and saw Hidden Figures at the theater. Let me just say, that is an amazing movie. Everyone should see it.

This week? I've worked on being "all there." I read a quote recently in the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and she talks about finding joys in daily living. Sometimes it's easy to go on autopilot, to forget to be present. I know I am good at that -- the autopilot gig.

I happen to love screen time.

Too much.

I am a typical American who can spend more time with a phone than living my life, at times. But recently I have become more aware of this epidemic in my own life. I don't want to be on my deathbed and, when asked the infamous question: What did you accomplish in your life? ... have my answer be:

I watched all seasons of 72 different shows and defeated 972 levels of Angry Birds Pop!

I remember as a child laying on the bed in the east bedroom of my Grandma Crowder's home on a hot summer day, the window open and the curtains rustling as the breeze whistled in. I was at peace with just my thoughts to entertain me.

I have forgotten the art of boredom.

And so, I have put down my phone and opted for a better way. As a result?

-I hung on the porch with Jace and talked about nothing for quite some time.
-I played ball with Piper and watched him bound effortlessly across the yard, tail wagging, fully immersed in the joys of the moment.
-I read one book and started a second.
-I blogged.
-I listened, really listened, to the wind chimes on my porch, and watched the sun wink its last good night.


This week I set my screen aside. This week I chose to be "all there."

And that made all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. So good! Just heard a report that social media has an effect on our kids (well and us!) just like alcohol and drugs. The dopamine released from checking how many likes we get on a picture or how many friends we have gives us a "high" of sorts and is detrimental to our society. I feel it. I know I'm addicted and HAVE to make an effort to put it down! Good for you for setting that example!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...