Tuesday, January 31, 2017

When I Forgot

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Jace's school to inform them that he is going on a ski trip and to learn the proper protocol for informing his teachers, getting his make-up work, etc. And so, I walked up to the desk and smiled at Lydia, the school secretary.

"Hey, Lydia!" I said. "I am taking Jace out of school for a week-long ski trip to New Mexico in a couple of weeks. I just want to make sure I handle this properly so that he can everything made up in time. Can you help me with that?"

She looked at me in utter horror.

Now, just a quick FYI: Lydia is a very warm, gracious woman who treats everyone with genuine kindness. And that is why her unflinching response took me back a bit.

"You're taking him out for a ski trip?" she asked, confused. "We don't look kindly on that here. The vice principal won't be happy. You'll have to talk to her before you decide to do that," she said. "She's out today but she will be here tomorrow."

Her response was similar to what I imagined it would be if I told her I was going to die a long slow death...

Um...nevermind...I thought. I'll just take the easy way out...Jace will suddenly be struck with a devastating illness that lasts exactly five days. I thanked Lydia and headed out the door with zero intention of re-entering it within the next two weeks.

And so, I told Jace the plan so that he wouldn't own too many bragging rights about missing a week of school for a ski trip. "Sure, Mom...whatever," he said.

I could have told him that I was shipping him to Zimbabwe and I would have received the same response.

Fast forward to yesterday: Monday.

As planned, I dutifully called the school to inform them that Jace was sick. I expected a quick, simple phone call. 1-2-3-done. Lydia answered the phone in her cheerful manner and immediately knew who I was when I introduced myself. "Hey, Lydia. It's Vonda. I am just calling to let you know that Jace is sick!"

"Jace is sick?" she asked, surprised. And then she hesitated. "Wait. Isn't he on a ski trip this week?"

She remembered.

But? Gotta stick to the plan. I definitely had no intention of meeting with that Vice Principal.

"Well, he was going to go, but Roy got a virus, and then I got the virus, and now Jace has it. So yeah...he's sick."

"Is he running a fever?" she asked.

Oh wow...this lie is getting deeper...

"Yep. Sure is," I said, without a hitch.

"Are you going to take him to the doctor?" she asked.

I sighed. "Well, it's just a virus..." I explained.

"So you think he'll be here tomorrow?"

Ok, so now? I'm feeling a bit lost. This quick little lie has turned into a preposterous story that is never-ending. But...you know...I've dived in. I'm swimming ten feet below and sinking fast.

"I dunno," I quipped. "I mean, he's sick."

"Well," she said, "hopefully we will see him tomorrow with a doctor's note!"

And that was that.

Only it wasn't...

Suddenly I felt like a 12 year old that just got caught with my hand in the cookie jar. Because, you know...Lydia knew. 

I knew she knew.

I. Am. A. Liar.

All day the story ran circles in my head. And then that evening? It continued to run circles in my head. I FaceTimed with Jacque and she laughed at my predicament, telling me to just go come clean already. Face the bullets. Be real.

Last night I tossed and turned. It was the longest night of my life. I simply couldn't sleep, the words I am such a liar rolling from one side of my head to the other and back again...over and over and over again.

Today we had our weekly team meeting and I just couldn't get my head in the game. I wasn't sure it if was because I am tired from lack of sleep or if it's because, well...you know...I am a liar.

And so the day progressed... I looked up the Keene attendance policy and realized that I could be taken to court for truancy. They could send a truancy officer to my house, fine me up to $500!

What have I done??!

Finally, at 3:17 p.m., I simply couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed my purse, ran out to the car, drove to Keene Junior High, and walked straight into Lydia's office. She immediately looked up at me with that genuine smile on her face. "How's Jace?" she asked brightly.

"Ugh. Lydia, I have a confession. I am a liar."

She nodded, laughing. "Is Jace on the ski trip?"

"He is."

"No worries," she said. "That's just fine! Don't you worry about a thing!"

And then? In her gracious way, she told me to email all of Jace's teachers to make sure that he gets his work made up as quickly as possible. "Have a great day, Vonda!" she said as I headed back out the door, weighing about 3072 pounds lighter in my head.

And I didn't even have to face the Vice Principal!

Here's the thing. I am really not a liar. I have a difficult time being anything but authentic. I prefer living my life with integrity...

I just forgot for a minute.








1 comment:

  1. We've all forgotten for THAT moment. Don't lose anymore sleep over it. Good for you for coming clean - not many would. You go, girl! Proud of you! I learn so many things from you time and time again!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...