Sunday, January 15, 2017

Back in the Saddle

Lately I've gotten lazy. Well, that's not really true. I've always been lazy.

But lately I've gotten especially lazy about writing.

I'm not sure why...maybe it's because I've had lots of people in my house. Or maybe it's because I'm distracted with other things during the early morning hours when I typically write. Or maybe it's because I've become addicted to Game of Thrones and it, sadly, fills my free time.

But for whatever reason, I've put writing on the back burner...until today.

A few days ago, my friend Jacque enrolled in a class called Lifebook and she gifted it to me as well. It's incredible. It's about achieving mastery in the 12 areas of one's life.

Ok--mastery might be a stretch...but the overall point is that we need to live more purposefully about creating a life we love. To begin, we take a "test" that determines our happy quotient on a scale of 125. This score is determined by scoring our happiness in each of these 12 areas: health and fitness, social life, emotional life, career, etc. I scored an 84. But my friend Jacque? She scored in the 120's. But if you knew her, you'd believe it. Jacque lives with such purpose and motivation that she always inspires me.

Anyway, the point of all this is...today the challenge is to set a goal for the next 30 days, plan how to achieve that goal, and then do it.

Do it.

The two magical words.

Now here's the thing. I'm really good at talking. And planning. And thinking. And dreaming. I've got all of that down to a science.

But the doing part?

Not so much.

For example...I'm super good at planning how I'm going to eat healthfully...or exercise faithfully...I make all sorts of promises to myself. I've created charts and found recipes and researched diet plans...

The works.

But when it comes to doing it? ...

I read recently that the resolve to stick to one's decisions has to do with one's character.

Clearly my character sucks.

So today, when I watched the guy on Lifebook challenge me to create a goal and stick with it, I thought--I'm going to choose something that doesn't involve exercise or eating healthfully. I am a wee bit tired of hating myself in those two arenas. And so, I chose writing...

For the next 30 days, my goal is to write for a minimum of 30 minutes a day.

Now I will say, that doesn't necessarily mean blogging. I'm not sure I have that much inspiration (this blog I'm writing now is quite inspiring, I realize...) But the purpose is to hopefully harness all of those excuses and get me back in the saddle again.

And so...here goes...

Day one.

Done.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness! I've been going crazy without your posts!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...