Monday, April 27, 2015

New Eyes

On Friday I had Roy pick up a book for me called The Magic of Tidying Up and I've been reading it all weekend. My realization? I have too much stuff. Way too much stuff.

This book was written by a girl who is from and lives in Japan. In fact, the book is a translation; however, she is an international consultant for organization. The book explains her system for getting rid of stuff in your home and by the time you're done, she claims you will get rid of 2/3-3/4 of all of your belongings. There is a sweet spot, she claims, that feels perfect in regards to how much stuff one has. And her success rate? 100%. Once she consults with an individual and helps them get rid of stuff, they never go back.

Wow.

And here is the ticket for getting rid: You pick up the item in your hand and you ask yourself, "Does this give me joy?" And if the answer is no, you give it away. And when you are done? You have an entire home surrounded by only the things that you love. She claims this is freeing, exhilarating. Relationships improve. People are left with time on their hands to pursue their passions. It is life-changing.

I am inspired.

As I look around my living room, I can see many things that don't necessarily bring me joy anymore, though they did at one point in time. I have mounds of books. She recommends no more than 30. Thirty!! I have 30 books on one shelf alone! I have a basket stuffed with Reader's Digests that are still in the packaging. And the drawers of my end tables are filled with what-nots. Candles from days gone by rest on shelves that I rarely, if ever, light. The pillow on my couch is aged and stained and chewed on from Piper's puppy stage. He is six years old.

So I am looking at my living room with new eyes. For that matter, I'm looking at my house with new eyes--and I am seeing far too many things that don't bring me joy. I am going to start going through and paring down and giving away. I am going to use the strategies she defines in her book and simplify, surrounding myself with only things that bring me joy. Lots and lots of joy.

Yesterday I tried to figure out my style. Am I contemporary? country? country chic? shabby chic? The list continues. It is overwhelming! I had no idea so many styes exist! I took a walk through Pinterest and gathered some photos of styles that I like so that I have a goal to aim for in terms of how to style my home. I am not interested in spending all kinds of money but just trying to get ideas for how to change things up so that my home is no longer so utilitarian but is, rather, a sanctuary of sorts.

I watched the interview with Bruce Jenner and Diane Sawyer yesterday. It was, to be honest, fascinating. Bruce Jenner was this physical beast that reflected power and beauty and skill. He was so manly and well sculpted in the 1970's when he won          the Olympic Decathlon. Who would have dreamed that this man struggled as he does, that he suffers from mental torment as he claims he is a woman with a man's body.

Who knew.

And so, at the age of 65 he is transitioning to a woman. He has had three wives and ten children call him Dad. Seven grandchildren call him Grandpa. But the urge, he claims, is so great that he can't fight it anymore.

My heart goes out to Bruce Jenner. I can't imagine what it must be like to suffer from such torment, to be willing to go against the tide of societal approval on a national level, as he bears a household name, for the sake of gaining some peace from the mental agony that haunts. Diane Sawyer explained how over 700,000 transgender Americans exist today and the suicide rate is over 50%.

That's a crazy statistic. Clearly we're missing the boat as a nation. Something needs to change.

Who am I to judge another? Who am I to determine if someone is born right or wrong at the heart of who they are.

Life is short. It's filled with difficulties and pain and questions. Yet, we all have dreams and passions and abilities to conquer. Sometimes, it's just a matter of sifting through the clutter and recognizing what inspires, what brings joy. And sometimes, it's the very act of sifting that  brings us in touch with who we are at the deepest level.

Sometimes when we look at our homes we can manage to see  things with new eyes. But it seems to me that, where the rubber meets the road, is how I view people.

I want new eyes:

New eyes to see the good.

New eyes to see beyond the clutter.

New eyes to see what shines, bringing untold joy in its wake.







1 comment:

  1. I want to discuss this on our next gym stroll! Less Stuff, Better Eyes.. Like it!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...