Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Temperatures

Savana and I have an ongoing war.

She loves to wear these flimsy tshirts and shorts in the wintertime; I bundle in a thick, fuzzy robe. She is cold-natured. I am hot-natured (it's called late 40's). I love to sleep with the air cool, crisp; she prefers a sauna.

Every night before I go to bed, I turn the thermostat down to 67 degrees. Mmm...I love stealing under the covers, cozying up to Roy who is synonomous with the word "heater". And then at 5:00, I sneak downstairs with my snuggly robe and my hot cup of something to sit here in the living room--toasty and comfy,  doing my thing.

And then? Here comes Savana, a scowl on her face. She looks at the thermostat, rolls her eyes, and, with attitude, punches the "up" arrow so that the thermostat is set at 70. I can feel the eye roll--no need to see it. It's all over her body, this annoyance that I like the cool air while she prefers the warmth.

I say Dress warmer!

She says Stop thinking we all wear fuzzy robes!

But the good news is, we've settled on 70 degrees. She would prefer much higher. But here's the thing: she lives in her bedroom. And in her bedroom? She has a heater that runs nonstop. It's hot in there. So, I don't feel badly, much to her chagrin.

This whole aging process is such a baffling thing. It's funny how it sneaks up on you. One day you're dreaming of what you're going to be when you grow up and then you're walking down the aisle and creating the beginnings of a life and planning and dreaming. And then the babies come and you're knee-deep in diapers and days that blend together as though they'll never end...and then they do.

The other day when Savana and I went shopping at the mall, we parked in the parking garage and then headed down the escalater to the entrance when suddenly Savana remembered she left something in her car. And so, we headed back up and I waited in this little entrance room at the top of the escalators while she went to retrieve the wayward item. So I was just standing there, waiting, when I hear giggles and I wanna do it again, Mommy! and I look to see a mom juggling two little kids that were probably 2 and 4 years old. She is holding one of their hands in each of hers as they straddled steps and walked up and down and up and down, the escalator lazily continuing its climb, the end coming up quickly, as she tried to maneuver them safely over the last step and onto the landing.

"That's the last time," she said tiredly, a haggard look on her face.

They didn't argue--their eyes immediately, spying a bench. And so, they ran over, climbed on top, and began to walk across it, all smiles and chubby hands and quick little legs.

Ah--so cute.

I said, "Mine used to do that. It goes quickly," and gave her a sympathetic smile.

She was a good mom--I could tell.

It's such a cliche--that times goes quickly, that we turn around twice and they're all grown up. But it's baffling how truly fast it happens. It never fails to make my head spin a bit.

Where did my little girls go? And Jace is on the verge of teenagehood? Really??

I can remember going to visit my grandma in the nursing home when I was quite a bit younger and she would ask, "How is the weather at your home?" And I would patiently explain that it was hot, or cold, or whatever it was. I would chuckle to myself: What is it with old people and the weather? With temperatures?

But now? Well, now I get it. When I talk to my dad on Sundays I always ask, "How's the weather, Dad?" And I mean it. It's not just a make conversation topic: I honestly wonder what the weather is like in Oklahoma.

I'm not really sure what the fascination is, but it seems to be a common ingredient with the aging process: one wakes up one morning and suddenly cares about the weather.

When Roy and I first got married, we had to figure out the whole thermostat gig. Just the other day, Savana was saying that the thermostat setting is one of the leading causes of fights in a marriage. I found that interesting--pretty sure Roy and I haven't had a single argument over the thermostat. Of course, Savana would say it's because I'm the thermostat Nazi and nobody dares to argue with me. But that hasn't always been the case.

I was young once and cared little for the actual degree of the temperature. I had dreams to chase and a future to create. It was all about comfort level.

But now? Well, now I've learned that life speeds by, that each day is a gift and we need to soak it in, treasure it, care about the little things because those little things create a life. They are the makings of the human experience.

So go ahead and turn up the heat, Savana. Create a temperature that works for the moment while you prepare for your day and rush around to earn those A's and plan your life. Someday you'll slow down. Someday you'll call home and say, "Hey, Mom! How's it going? What's the weather like back home?"



3 comments:

  1. This made me teary-eyed! Because it's so true - one day they're on the escalator and the next were talking about the weather. Ugh. This aging thing is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. Sweet. Better not let Savana read this or she'll never let it be cold again! Sometimes you text me and ask me what the weather's like here. Now I know why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a hospice patient ask me why I was obsessed with the weather! I was just trying to make conversation. But this is cracking me up cause I am very into temperature now.....

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...