Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Stuff of Dreams

It is icy outside. A dusty covering of snow has blanketed our yard and I have to traverse these treacherous roads in order to get to work. This is one of those times when I kind of wish Buncombe County Department of Social Services followed the Buncombe County school schedule: two hour delay. And no worries! You don't have to make up the extra two hours.

Ah--the stuff dreams are made of.

So last night I headed over to the girls' dorm to lead out in a small group study as their regular leader is gone and so I filled in. It's been awhile since I have been in front of a group of teens and I fell right back into that routine as though I've never been out of it. It felt good actually and reminded me that I need to be more diligent about being involved.

Sometimes I struggle with that word: involved.

When we lived in California, my sister Lori told me that the only reason I'm fairly organized is because it gives me more time to sit. Sadly? It's true. I love "activities" that involve sitting--writing on my iPad, reading, watching a series from Netflix, or simply chatting it up with a good friend. But if the house is a mess or there are dishes to be done...well, I can't sit and do my thing with any sense of peace. And so, I get things done so that I can have lots and lots of "me" time. Mmm.

But, of course, all of that "me" time detracts from being involved in ways that benefit others. And though I can't say that I'm "chomping at the bit" to get out there and become a volunteer for a nonprofit organization or lead out in worships in the dorms or a host of other possibilities, well...I will acknowledge that there is a slight chance that I need to be a bit more selfless in the area of involved.

As a teacher, one is constantly involved. The job demands it. I've never been in a position in my entire life where I had two distinct lives: professional; personal. Even as a child, my dad was superintendent of the school in the small town in which I grew up and so we were constantly involved in school activities: attending football games and basketball tournaments and chili suppers for the purpose of raising money and school plays and the list continues. But now? Well, I am finding myself with these long evenings that stretch before me and when there are school activities, I have the option of attending rather than the obligation.

It's refreshing.

But sometimes it leaves me feeling like just maybe I need to find a niche somewhere and make a difference. "Sitting" is a beautiful thing--no doubt about that.

But action for the sake of others? That is what life is about. That is truly the stuff that dreams are made of.




2 comments:

  1. I am so with you. I love activities that involve me time and sitting. :) I am so happy for you that you get to have more personal time. You completely deserve it! And I know that you're still making a difference at that school! That's so awesome that you can choose to be involved now instead of being required to go. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU FRIDAY.

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...