Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Life in your Years

Brittany Maynard has taken the Internet by storm. It seems lately I've seen her face every time I am on Facebook or glancing through Google news. And every time I see her, I feel such utter sadness.

What is it like to only be 29 and facing the end of your life?

I watched an interview with her this morning as I sat in my rocking chair and sipped on chai and contemplated the deeper meaning of life and other such things that I do at 5:00 a. m. And as I listened to her talk? I was amazed at her courage, at her willingness to stand for something in her darkest hour, at her ability to love her husband enough to encourage him to find a new love and start a family filled with the laughter of children.

Brittany Maynard, in my book, is a hero.

She is no longer with us, of course, as on Saturday, November 1, she swallowed a cocktail of pills  that ended her life so that she would not be a burden to her family; so that she would not suffer. I recognize that her act is controversial and that many are outraged at her decision. But honestly? I admire it. I think she had the right to choose the best path for her. Not everyone would choose the same, of course. Many would opt to let life take its natural course; let come what may. And that's okay, too. We're all different and we all have, in my book, the right to choose what's best for oneself. Or, at least we should. Don't judge until you have walked a mile in her shoes. I'm interested to see how Brittany Maynard's final act influences our ability as a nation to choose one's right to die with dignity.

I've been reading a book lately that talks about the beauty of life. This author discusses how we have more laughter than tears; more successes than failures; more good times than bad. I've found his book inspiring, thought-provoking. Sometimes his words leave me staring off into space for a moment, contemplating one of this thoughts. I have been one of those people that says Life can be so difficult. And truly--it can. Brittany Maynard, for example, died at 29. That's difficult. That's tragic for those she left behind--the only child of her mother; the love of her husband's life.

But clearly Brittany's life was filled with love and laughter and good times before her fatal diagnosis--and honestly, even after her diagnosis. And when I think back at my own life, I remember so much laughter and so much love that it fills me to the brim. Even the dark times were tinged with moments of unity and inspiration.

This morning as I drove to work, I noted the towering trees on the winding road that leads from the academy --vibrant oranges and reds and deep, deep yellows. This afternoon as we girls went for our daily walk, the air crisp, I thought I am so lucky to be alive, to be here in Asheville, to know these girls whom I work with, to be me.

I came home from work this afternoon and Roy and I headed to vote because we are a free nation and we have the luxury of choosing our leaders. Once home I made dinner for Jace because I have a stocked pantry and lack for nothing. I talked to Darian for awhile and laughed with Jace as he shared a story from his day.

Sometimes I get lost in the mire of day to day living and it takes a Brittany Maynard to bring it home that life is meant to be enjoyed. She died in her late twenties and yet? She had the wisdom to recognize that life is a gift. Cherish every moment.

We are born to dream, to live life in abundance, to think outside of ourselves, to be generous with our time and our resources, to love.

And that's what life is about--whether you die at 29 or 92.

It isn't about the years of your life. It's about the life in your years.

RIP, Brittany Maynard.

1 comment:

  1. lump in my throat reading about her. I so admire her courage. And love your reminder to cherish our life. So much to enjoy and be thankful for..

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...