Thursday, May 4, 2017

Storms

I love storms.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the windows open while I cleaned the house and a thunderstorm rolled in. The sky crashed and somersaulted, lightning flashing across the sky, as I stood in wonder in my living room and gazed out our sliding glass door. The storm lasted quite some time and I fully relished every moment.

This past weekend, Roy sent me a text (as he was out of town): a huge storm is headed your way. It should arrive in 30 minutes.

Fabulous.

And so, I went out to the porch, gazed up at the tumultuous sky, and waited. The sky turned from shades of blue to dark and gray; the wind picked up; anticipation built.

And then, just that quickly, the sky was blue and the sun was shining brilliantly.

The storm bypassed us.

Yesterday? Same thing. I even received a warning on my phone that we were under a severe thunderstorm alert.

Yes!

But again...nothing.

So disappointing. I'm ready for a good, Oklahoma-type storm with all of the bells and whistles. But of course, without the tornado, thank you very much. I'm not interested in THAT sort of storm.

Yesterday, Tami, my boss--but really my very true blue friend, flew to Albuquerque for the funeral of a University donor. Tami and this donor's daughter have become good friends and so she wanted to give her a book. A couple of days ago, Tami and I brainstormed for a minute about what sort of book, and then I mentioned Option B. I just purchased it on Amazon though I haven't read it yet. I'm anxious to get it in the mail.

Option B is about a lady who suddenly, unexpectedly, lost her husband. This happened a little over a year ago and she writes about the devastation and anguish of grief. However, she also writes about resiliency and finding joy in the midst, and she includes all kinds of stories of people who have suffered great loss or overcome great challenges.

It's my kind of book.

And so, Tami purchased it and she and the book headed to Albuquerque where she will give it to her friend.

Later on in the day, I was scrolling through Facebook and happened upon a commencement speech that the author of this book, Sheryl Sandburg, was giving. She told her story of losing the man who held her up, who walked by her side, whom she adored and loved completely.

And then she talked about how, before his death, she used to question herself. She would go to bed at night and think of all the things that she had done wrong, or that she disliked about herself. She bypassed the joy and settled for the sad.

But the death of her husband taught her to change her thinking simply because our thoughts create out worlds.

Yesterday Jace was telling me how sometimes complaining just feels good. He likes to find the negative and just tear it all apart.

(Let's remember that he's 14.)

I couldn't help but laugh, because sometimes this boy is just a kick. But I was quick to say, "You may want to be careful with that. When you focus on the negative, that's all you see. And your thoughts create your life. It's a much better place to live when you focus on the good things in life and let the negative things pass you by. Both exist. Focus on the stuff that makes you feel good."

Pretty sure he tuned me out right after I said ...You may want to...

Pretty sure I turned into Charlie Brown's mother about that time. "Waaa waaaa waaa..."

But that's okay. I'll keep preaching, because it's what I do.

And I'll keep waiting for those thunderstorms until anticipation becomes reality.

And hopefully, I'll focus on more joy than misery throughout my day -- especially when the storms of life are bypassing me.

You know...building that resiliency muscle...

That's, at least, what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. Just saw Sheryl Sandburg interviewed and she is INCREDIBLE! The book must be, too! How cool to give it to this donor's daughter! You (and Tami) rock!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...