Friday, May 26, 2017

I Am A Cat Lady

Missy lives a few houses down from me.

Missy loves cats.

In fact, she owns four of them and feeds two strays that have been abandoned by their families. 

A couple of weeks ago, my sister Tami told Missy (as they are friends from way back) about my cat/kitten dilemma as I am still caring for the abandoned cat across the street and her five very adorable kittens. Against Missy's better judgment, she came to visit one day and that was that.

She was sunk.

Since that day, I have often found Missy petting them, caring for them, cooing at them -- when I go over for one of my daily visits. It's a beautiful thing.

I really like Missy. Cat people? They are my people.

Since these kittens were a few days old, they have had some eye issues. Tami and I have struggled to stay on top of it. About the time we think we have conquered it, another kitten is stricken and we begin the struggle again. I have containers filled with remedies, cotton balls, and fresh water available on the porch for anybody who cares to visit and help out. But last night Missy dropped by with a prescription tube of antibiotic ointment for their eyes. 

Ah...maybe we will conquer this at last.

She also went to work finding them homes and I believe she has been successful. Next week all of the kittens will be doled out to their new "parents" -- all of which are quite fabulous, I might add. These are some lucky kitties. They will only be five weeks old which is quite young, but...we are all fearing a bit for their safety. A coyote meanders the streets at night. Large birds with peering eyes and deadly claws are often spied in the trees in the yard. And an owl lives in a tree just beyond that house. And so, for their safety, we're going to let them go a bit early. 

I will miss them.

I have gotten to know each of them and I can now relate to these people who sell kittens and create detailed descriptions of their personalities on the website that advertises them.

I could do the same:

This one is so independent! He is the smallest of the litter but he was the first one to open his eyes and crawl out of the box. He is my adventurer, my independent one...

Oh, this one? He is terribly lazy. He just likes to eat which is evident by the fact that he is the largest and the roundest.

This one is a squawker. She cries pitifully when anything seems a tad bit wrong with her world. 

And so on...

I almost named them all...but then caught myself for fear I wouldn't be able to let go when the time came. I'm not sure how supportive my family would be of a box of kittens that I proclaim are here to stay.

We already have two...and that's enough.

But these kittens have provided a lot of joy each day. In the evenings, Tami and I faithfully visit, making ourselves comfortable on the concrete porch while kittens pounce and crawl and explore. They are all over us, peering up with bright blue eyes. And mama cat patiently nurses them, cleans them, and hauls them back to the box at any sign of danger (like a lawn mower).

It has been a fabulous four weeks and I will always be grateful for this time I had to enjoy a litter of kittens. What began as a tragedy as the family abandoned the mama kitty, has turned into a great blessing in my life.

Yesterday I ran across this statement:

Life is always in your favor. Even the dark times lead to new revelations, new beginnings, greater wisdom, greater joy.

I like that. 



And I believe it.



1 comment:

  1. I love that statement at the end.....life is always in your favor! Yea!

    And those kittens? To die for!! Glad they have homes - but they've sure had a good caretaker or two these few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...