Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Worth the Sacrifice

Yesterday was the Groundbreaking ceremony at the University for our new nursing/administration building that is slated to be finished by the fall of 2018. I was in charge of the refreshments.

And so, Missy (one of the girls who works in our office) and I headed over to the rain-soaked meadow to set up. We hauled bottled water and huge tins of cookies shaped like shovels lying in a pile of dirt (crushed oreos) with a few sprigs of grass sprinkled throughout (fennel). And then we set up tables and wrestled tablecloths against the unruly wind.

It was a quick ceremony and before the hour was up, we were packing it all back into my car and heading back to the office. As we walked inside those doors, Dean said, "That was a great event. It takes a team."

Sure enough. It takes a team.

I am so grateful for my Advancement team. They are good peeps. We work hard and fast and we have pulled off a crazy number of events for our short time together.

I also visited the doctor yesterday. His name is Dr. McDavid Mahaffey and he is sincerely the best doctor I have ever had. He genuinely cares for his patients and works to get to know them, to provide options, to treat the patient. He asked about Jace, and he cracked some goofy jokes. Normally I hate going to the doctor. It's one of those -- let's get out of there as quickly as possible -- duties. But I don't ever mind going to Dr. Mahaffey' office because his entire staff makes the experience pleasant. They're friendly, kind people. I love their team.

This week I have touched base with several friends across the country -- friends who are so dear to my heart. Precious people. I skyped with Tammy for a minute. We rarely talk, honestly. But when we do, it's golden. Sweet Kayla sent me an email out of the blue so we caught up and that was all kinds of fabulous. Raylene and I talked on the phone for quite some time and she is a great encourager when it comes to living a healthy life. Raylene and I go way back and she always makes my heart happy. And last night before I went to bed, Jacque sent a text to see how I am doing. That girl? She saves my world.

Everyone should have my team of friends. They light up my life.

Recently I was talking to one of my dearest friends -- we shall call her Sara -- who is in a quandary in her life. She no longer feels at home in her community and life has become a struggle. However, she has a major complication that holds her back from moving to the place near her family that is beckoning. Furthermore, the thought of moving is daunting.

I feel her pain. Deeply. It wasn't too long ago I was in her shoes and looking at the future created so much angst.

But now my life is filled with so much goodness, so much happiness. And so I encouraged her -- just take one step at a time. Just do the next thing. Start with step one...and don't think about step 87. Just step one.

Because really...when we are surrounded by our team? Life is a beautiful thing.

And it is worth every sacrifice to get there.

1 comment:

  1. So fun catching up! Gosh I miss your guts, but I'm so happy for your happiness!! Love you, girly!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...