Monday, February 20, 2017

Raising Roy

 Jace has decided that he wants a Golden Retriever.

Here is the thing with Jace. He is just a tad obsessive. So when he wants something? He wants something. He dreams it, breathes it, talks it, researches it, lives it, thinks it, talks it...

You get the idea.

It is a hair-bit exhausting.

And so, he has comprised all kinds of promises in order to "earn" this Golden Retriever: he will take 100% care of the pets for one year; he will get all A's and B's; I will never receive another negative remark about his behavior in school; he will take Piper on a 30 minute daily walk...

And the list continues.

Now let me say, I am just as much a sap about puppies as the next person. Who doesn't love a puppy? And really...who doesn't love a Golden Retriever puppy?

But I happen to have owned a few dogs in my lifetime and, frankly, they are a lot of work. And I also happen to know that even if Jace were to hold true on all of these lofty promises, he is outta here in less than five years. So who gets stuck with the Golden at that time?

You're lookin' at it.

And so, I just continually sigh heavily when Jace broaches the subject. He is undaunted. He shows me pictures and researches breeders and available puppies in the area, giving me a constant update.

He even friended my friend Tammy on Facebook because she is a proud owner of a Golden. He is hoping to see some pictures roll around on her "wall."

Jace doesn't have school today, so I am sure he will fill the hours with scheming and researching. Meanwhile, I will be preparing for our Groundbreaking ceremony for our new nursing building as I am in charge of the refreshments: bottled water and cookies shaped like shovels.

While I am working, he will plaster me with texts that divulge his new ideas, new promises, new discoveries.

And I will patiently respond minus the heavy sighs because he won't be able to hear them.

I was an easy child to raise. Roy? Not so much.

I don't understand why I have to pay for his raising. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair.

1 comment:

  1. But Vonda!! They're soooooooo cute! And that puppy breath!! And aw come on!!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...