Sunday, January 24, 2016

A Perfect Storm

Winter Storm Jonas blew in with fury Thursday night. As we had plenty of warning, I packed up my computer and worked from home for as long as I could stand it on Friday before the snow called my name. Jonas gifted us with well over a foot of snow and it just kept coming down all Friday as we, bundled in coats and scarves and hats and boots, played in a winter wonderland.

On Saturday we bundled up again and walked down icy roads to church where we sat with the academy students and staff. It was cozy, all of us in jeans and boots, and the pastor led out in praise music with his guitar and then gave a short sermon before we headed over to the cafeteria for lunch.

Jace is in heaven. He adores the snow and spends every possible waking moment in it. Guerin and Savana created a sledding slope from the top of the hill in our yard that goes across the road and then ends with a jump. If one gets enough speed, it is just high enough to land you on your tailbone with a mighty thump. Not exactly my cup of tea but the kids seemed to love it!

In the afternoon Savana and I baked homemade cinnamon rolls together, their yumminess filling the entire house with the aroma of baking cinnamon. Oh my word--so scrumptious and gooey and perfectly delicious.

And then last night when our little world was enveloped in darkness, Jace bundled up one more time to head outdoors. "What's your plan this time, Jace?" I asked.

"Mom, I just have to enjoy every minute. I wish I could stay outside all night. I love the snow!" I suggested that he see if Zach, his neighbor buddy, could sled and so he headed out the door and up the road to their home. Awhile later, I looked outside to see them barreling down an icy road on Zach's sled, their laughter and happy chatter piercing the stillness. I bundled up to check on them as it was 18 degrees outside, and by the time I got to them, they had thrown themselves in the snow, snow angel position, and were gazing at the stars.

"Hey, boys! It's 18 degrees out here!"

They laughed. "No, we're warm! We're just fine!" And then they headed for Zach's house for hot lemonade and a rousing game of Pick Up Sticks.

It has been a magical two days.

On Saturday morning, Roy, Jace and I bundled up to clear the sidewalks and forge a path down the ice-covered driveway so that we could leave our house without, you know, dying. (Ok--that's a bit of an exaggeration. Roy cleared the sidewalks while Jace played with Piper, the two of them bounding in the snow, and I pretended to help...a little.)

It was perfectly quiet out. A few birds were singing but other than that, it was stillness. Perfect stillness. As I stood on my porch looking out at the world of wonder that stretched out in all directions before me I couldn't help but look up, to listen, to stop, for just a bit.

I couldn't help but know that this perfect stillness is the Hand of God.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

  1. Ah love it love it love it. I love days like that. Also I am incredibly jealous as it has been over 100 here every day. Sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...