Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fully Alive

It is cold outside. Fall has officially arrived as I sit in this chair, bundled in my fuzzy robe with a cup of chai at my side. Savana is in the kitchen, whipping up some sort of "savory" oatmeal that she is really excited about (but sounds really awful). She is singing to herself and I can hear something sizzling in the pan as she busily goes about her business.

Yesterday we snagged Harrison and he and Jace played the day away. Oh my those two have a good time together, giggling and talking and playing the entire day away when they get together. Harrison wasn't able to go back to APCS this year and I know Jace has missed his good buddy. They are still sleeping soundly but I know the minute they get up, Jace will say, "Mom, I am so sad that Harrison has to go home tonight. I hope tonight never gets here."

And I will say, "Just enjoy every minute, Jace. And another day will come when Harrison will visit again. Don't waste today being sad that it will end."

Mindfulness.

It seems to be the buzz word as of late. Recently I went to one of the Lunch & Learns at work and the presenter talked about its importance when we eat--being aware of each bite rather than shoveling it in as quickly as possible so that we can move on to the next before the first bite is even chewed.

But mindfulness goes beyond that to learning to live in the present as well. Taking each moment as it comes and enjoying it to its fullest potential. Getting out of one's head and into the now.

It's so easy to live in one's head...or at least it is for me.  Sometimes, and this is embarrassing, but sometimes I ask a question and then forget to listen to the answer. Then later? I wonder that same question but, of course, I don't dare ask and give myself away.

I believe, though, that learning to live in the present, to find the joy in the moment, is a key to living a happy life.

Taking deep breaths
Listening to music
Prayer 
Laughter

Engaging in each moment; being present; feeling alive.

Yesterday was an amazing day. I can't count how many times I said to Roy: Today is glorious. And it was. Nothing spectacular happened but I made a point of doing things that I love: I went to church at Foster and was completely engrossed in the music; I made lunch and then dined with some of the people I love the most in this world--all of us squeezed around the table and talking nonstop; Roy and I went on a long motorcycle ride on the winding roads up the mountain...and then back down again; we lazed around for a bit in the man cave; Roy and I walked the track together and then went for a long golf cart ride, stopping along the way to chat with different people. And then before I went to bed? I watched a few episodes of my latest series on my iPad. It was a day filled with goodness.

A perfect day.

But now? Well now it's a memory and a new day lies before me. And it's up to me to make the most of it, to be fully present--fully alive.


2 comments:

  1. I was feeling happy and peaceful just reading your post! =) I am glad you had such a great, peaceful day full of the people and things you love most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good reminder. though I am having trouble getting past the idea of savory oatmeal....

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...