Saturday, June 17, 2017

Classing It Up

During the summer, I travel around to different camp meetings and serve a treat to our alumni. Of course, the term alumni is used loosely as most the people I serve are most likely just people…not alums. But that’s ok. 

When Tami Condon and I were talking about what we should serve, she mentioned that we should change things up and offer strawberry shortcake; I thought that was a grand idea.

For years, Southwestern has offered watermelon — juicy, crisp, ice-cold watermelon. When Enga, our Vice President of Enrollment who attends these camp meetings as well, heard we were changing things up and offering strawberry shortcake rather than watermelon, she cautioned me to reconsider: These people love their watermelon, Vonda. You may get a lot of complaints.

I shrugged. Really? I can’t imagine it’s that deep, Enga. Besides, who doesn’t love strawberry shortcake? 

And so I charged ahead, ordering shortcake, whipped cream, and strawberries from the Arkansas cafeteria located on the grounds where the camp meeting was being held. A couple of weekends ago, my sisters (Tami and Lori) and I traveled six hours one way early Saturday morning, set up a table outside of the cafeteria, and offered dessert to the people as they passed by.

And of course, most were gracious: Oh thank you! This looks delicious! No watermelon this year?

No. We’re changing things up, I replied.

But once in awhile, someone would say, This looks good but I prefer my watermelon.

After a few of those comments, we began to ask people: would you rather have watermelon or shortcake?

Hands down the overwhelming consensus was…watermelon.

One lady summed it up the best when she said, I see you’re trying to class us up with strawberry shortcake! But you just don’t class up country folk.”

That made me laugh.

As soon as I got back to work on Monday morning, I contacted the director of Oklahoma camp meeting and changed my order to watermelon.

Enga was right.


You just don’t class up country folk.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! I'll take both, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have taken your strawberry shortcake! I assume it was GFREE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...