Sunday, April 2, 2017

A New Agenda

Recently Tami and I hit upon the idea that we should plan something out of the ordinary on a monthly basis. We tend to do the same things all of the time: eat together for lunch on Saturday, take long naps on Saturday afternoon, watch a movie in some fashion on Saturday night. Well...let me clarify: Chas and I watch a movie on Saturday night while Tami and Roy sleep.

Unless we go to the theater...

Then only Roy sleeps.

Poor guy. He's tired.

Anyway, our first adventure was Four Day Weekend, an improv comedy team located in Fort Worth, in February. When we initially walked in, Roy wanted to sit in the front row.

No way, I said. They will pick on us and I don't want to be picked on.

But Roy was insistent and so, we sat down. "I've sat on the front row before and they didn't pick on me," the lady sitting next to me assured me.

When the show started, a member of the team came out to greet us and get the audience revved up. He immediately looked at me and said, "What's your name?"

"Vonda," I replied, groaning inside.

I knew it! Here we go....

"Vonda? What kind of name is that? What does it mean??"

"I have no idea!" I replied.

"How did you get that name?" He asked.

And so the conversation continued. I told him I was named after Miss America 1966. He told me I was old as dirt. And then he wanted to know what I do for a living and when I told him I was an alumni director for a small university...oh my word. That got him going like none other. And then he called his team out of about 5 members total and they made up a song about me on the spot.

It. Was. Hilarious.

The entire evening was a raging success and, even though I was picked on, it was pretty darned funny.

For the month of March, my friend Jacque and sister Lori came down and we went to Cleburne State Park for a picnic. That evening, we went to the Plaza Theater in Cleburne to see a live play of Singing in the Rain. It's performed by local talent but one would never know that they aren't professional. So impressive and fun and delightful. The entire day was a hoot.

But the really cool part about that play? They have a drawing at intermission and pull one of the attendee's names out of a hat for two free tickets to the next play. And? I won! (I am thinking I should play the lottery...)

April is just around the corner. It's the guys' turn to plan as Tami and I have taken the lead on the previous two.

Recently Chas said, "Does bowling count as different?"

Roy said, "How about looking at old cars. Does that count?"

Yes it does, we said. Anything but a movie.

Roy mentioned last night that he is thinking we need to hit the hot rod derby in Dallas for the month of April.

Our lives may never be the same.

1 comment:

  1. How fun!! Love it!! And you won tix to the next show? Dying to hear what that ends up being!!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...