Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Grateful

This weekend was my first alumni event:

Oklahoma Campmeeting at Wewoka Woods.

I grew up on the campgrounds of Wewoka Woods. Some of my best memories took place on that land. I played the role of girls' counselor and worked bathrooms at camp meetings for more summers than I can count...

 ...riding horses,
 ...zipping over trails on the 4-wheeler,
 ...lazily riding in a canoe on the lake,
 ...lying on my back on the dam, gazing up at a million flickering stars overhead at night.

As we turned into the entrance of camp on Friday evening, it was like a kaleidoscope of emotion and memories rose up to greet me and that reminiscent feeling of anticipation blossomed in my chest.

 ...oh yeah...I remember you...

Camp hasn't changed much. The lodge got a makeover but the inside is still the same. I didn't see anyone I knew that is my age. All of my friends that are still in Oklahoma have moved on in their lives and Oklahoma Campmeeting is no longer a priority. I missed them.

I missed Jeff and Mark with all of their obnoxious comments and infectious laughter.

I missed Julie and her stories of her latest escapades.

I missed Tricia and her mom, Beverly, and reminiscing about the ridiculous things I did and said when I was in high school.

But I did see some of the teachers from Parkview, where I attended high school. And I saw Alfreda, a precious little lady whom I worked with my senior year at the ABC. Occasionally, she would say, "Vonda, why don't you go to Braum's and get both of us a malt? My treat." And off I would go, delighted.

And I saw Lavelle, the cutest little lady, and her husband Keith. These two played a key role in my life when I was a teen--I adored them and they took good care of me.

Both of my sisters and my mom were at Campmeeting. In fact, we stayed in a motel together on Friday night.

And we laughed. A lot.

On Saturday afternoon, Tami Condon and I rolled up our sleeves and served watermelon to a crowd of about 300. We had others who were helping, of course, but by the time we were finished, we were sticky and sweaty and laughing and grateful.

   Grateful to be alive.

   Grateful for a job that is all about service.

   Grateful for being surrounded by such happy faces, by joy.

Afterwards, we headed off into the sunset for Keene. The ride home wasn't quite as boisterous as the ride to Campmeeting. I drove and Tami C. sat in the passenger seat, a captive audience to my many questions. Tami heralds from Andrews University where she changed the game of Alumni Director, building a program that had little alumni involvement to one that is thriving and alive. To be working with such an incredible girl? Ah. My heart is full.

And so, my first event was a raging success. Not because I did anything spectacular--as I really just showed up. But...

...seeing people I love
...meeting new people whom I will see again next summer
...working side by side with a girl who is my friend
...living in the midst of this moment of joy

Pretty much? That's what life is about.

I'm not sure how I got so lucky to be where I am in life right now. But one thing I am sure of and that is this:

I am grateful.

“i thank You God for most this amazing” by e.e. cummings

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun’s birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)
how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any–lifted from the no
of all nothing–human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?
(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
e.e. cummings
1894-1962

2 comments:

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...