Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Cinderella Story

It has been a great weekend. Darian came home Friday afternoon, bringing along my sweet nephew Jared. Roy and I were at Sam's Club as I needed a few things that turned into an entire basket as that's how we roll. As we were in the freezer section, Roy got a phone call and he dashed away, throwing "I need to take this" over his shoulder. I thought nothing of it until he came back, grinning like the Cheshire cat.

"Who was that?"

"Wrong number," he replied, a big ole sloppy grin covering his face from ear to ear.

"You're lying."

He looked offended. "Why do you say that?"

"Because clearly you're lying. Why are you grinning like that?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

And then, about two seconds later, I see Darian running through the store in an attempt to surprise me and catch me from behind. (Turns out she called Roy to get her through the door as one needs a membership card.)

I love happy endings.

And then, yesterday after church we dashed home to throw together a picnic. Savana spent all day Friday preparing this delicious feast: hotdog spread on croissants, the most amazing guacemole in the world with tortilla chips, potato salad, carrot sticks, clemintines, these delicious specialty cookies that were exquisite (macaroons), and brownie bites. And then? She packed little baggies of chopped onions and such for the sandwiches.

I love her.

Roy fired up the motorcycle and we led the way as Guerin drove our car and Savana, Darian, Jace, and Jare rode along. It is the first time I've ridden with Roy on the motorcycle since probably October when winter hit with a cold blast and we parked the bike safe and sound inside the garage. But yesterday was beautiful and though the mountains are brown and still bear the signs of winter's rampage, they left me filled with wonder as we drove along the winding road.

We found the perfect spot to picnic and everyone grabbed a box from the trunk and up we went, hiking to a table in a clearing. It was so relaxing--everybody happy and chatty and laughing about everything and nothing. We took our time, ate more than we should, and then just hung there for awhile, enjoying the moment.

The intention was to go further up the mountain and hike to some waterfalls, but Roy was ready to call it a day. Darian wanted to ride back with him on the motorcycle as I think she loves it as much as I do, and so we all cast in the towel and headed down together.

So much for an afternoon of hiking...but unfortunately, that seems to be the way we roll, too.

We were home by 4;30 and we all went our separates ways--crashing on beds for the next two hours. Ah. Bliss.

And then last night, Roy and I took all of the kids to see Cinderella at the theater. Oh my word. It is an amazing movie. Well cast. Great moral to the story. Feel good ending. What's not to love?

The resounding theme is Always have courage; always be kind.

Before we left for the movie, Jace campaigned to stay home with my nephew Jared. You don't want to go, right, Jared? Let's stay home and play games together. Who wants to see a chick flick?

Jared said, I'll go.

As we were walking out of the theater, I said, "So did you like it, Jace?"

Begrudgingly, he replied, "Yeah...it was pretty good."

And that, my friends, is a rave review from Jace.

But the thing is, Cinderella wins. Despite the fact she has lost her parents, she strives to be kind though treated with disdain and contempt. She continues to rise above. She struggles to only say nice words. And then, of course, she gets the prince and the perfect life in the castle.

Now I'm not saying that we all get life in the castle because we're kind and we have courage. Clearly that isn't the case most of the time. But what a different world we would live in if we all watched our words and strived to find the best in others. How beautiful life could be on earth if our motto was Always be kind.

I am so looking forward to today. I'm walking with Erin in about thirty minutes at the park. We'll talk a mile a minute and keep up a pace that leaves us both huffing a bit...or at least me.  And then? This afteroon I'm making a lasagna dinner for the kids.

Some time this evening a longlost friend of mine named Jan whom I haven't heard from in probably twenty years or so is coming to visit--staying for two nights. Jan and I can just talk forever and ever and ever so I know great conversations are in store for me.

Ah--I love that.

And so today? Well today I'm looking forward. Spring is in the air and it won't be long before the trees are lit with bursting leaves and vibrant greens. The mountains, now dim and gray, will come alive with color. Darian will come home from school for a whole six weeks before heading off to camp and so I will, at least for a bit, have the luxury of all of my kids under this roof. I can pretend that this is how life will be forever and ever and ever...

...even if it won't.

But I won't think about that. Not yet anyway.

For today? I'm just going to do my best to Always have courage. Always be kind.

That, at least, is how I want to roll...

2 comments:

  1. I love your description of such a happy weekend! And to set the record straight you left me huffing - speed walker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love riding on the motorcycle and talking to Dad through that handy little microphone. And I loved the Cinderella movie and the picnic. And our nap. And I am so excited for those six weeks at home. Good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...