Monday, February 16, 2015

The Perfect Kind of Day

On Friday, I worked a whopping two hours and then came home, loaded up the car, and headed to Gatlinburg to spend the entire weekend with my whole family (plus Guerin whom we really consider family at this point) and one of my best friends, Raylene--plus her husband and adorable granddaughter. Oh my word. It was a slice of heaven. Raylene called me in November to see if we wanted to meet them for a little getaway and, of course, I quickly agreed as she is just one of those people that, no matter how rarely we talk, when we manage to get together, it's as though no time has gone by.

The best kind of friend one can have.

On Saturday, we two girls spent the day at the condo while the kids swam and the men did their own thing. We talked and cooked and played games and caught up and just had the best time hanging. On Sunday we took our time getting around and packing up before going our separate ways. We had to cut our visit a bit short as a storm was brewing and they needed to beat it. Hugging Raylene goodbye? Well, she took a piece of my heart with her back to Missouri.

I miss Missouri.

When we moved here, I struggled like none other. I missed the country roads, the wide open fields, the people, the church, the sunsets, the wheat fields...so many things. But it was a time of transition in more ways than one state versus another as Savana graduated and flew the coop and I didn't have a teaching job. And so, I wasn't ever quite sure whether I was sad because I missed Missouri or I simply missed teaching. Or was it I missed Savana? It was all such a toss-up in my head.

Raylene was a reminder of what used to be.

As Roy and I drove over the mountain pass, I said I feel a little sad.

He said Me too.

In the mornings when I drive to work, I always call my sister and chat with her for the fifteen minute drive. She's good company and when it comes to conversation topics, the sky is the limit. Anyway, she said, "I didn't expect you to call today. It's President's Day." And that got me thinking: Do we have the day off and I didn't realize it? The closer I got to work, the more excited I became at the prospect of possibly turning around and driving home. I imagined myself walking back in the front door, laughing at the fact I got up and around when I didn't have to. Roy would tell me he's jealous that I get to laze around all day while he's slaving away in the gym.

But then as I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed one of my co-workers getting out of her car and so, I instantly knew: I didn't make a mistake.

Bummer.

But once I got into the office, Heather and Hanna were talking excitedly about the weather and a big storm that was brewing and heading our direction. As the morning progressed and we realized with certainty that ice was heading our way, we all decided it was the perfect day to work from home. And so, I packed up my laptop and headed back to my house.

By 4:00, the storm hit with a vengeance.

I changed into my jammies, cooked a pot of soup, and settled down for a long evening with Netflix and FaceTime and blogging and reading.

It doesn't get any better than that.

I loved my life in Missouri. I enjoyed living in a boys' dorm. It's weird, I know--certainly a different life than most people experience. But I was the dean's wife for 15 years and it suited me well. I loved a living room filled with laughing boys with more energy than they knew what to do with. I loved Friday nights when I opened the doors to my living room and several piled in and we hung out chatting 'til Roy made them head to bed. I loved the simple life that we lived simply because we were several miles out in the country and the closest town hardly counted as a town.

But as I was thinking about all of that today, I realized I don't want to go back. I am happy for where I am. I love these mountains, the grandeur of Asheville. I love that seasons are mild and that when I walk in the evenings, all I have to do is look up and be reminded that I am not really that important after all. My opinions are simply that--opinions. That my life doesn't count for more than anyone else's and yet..it's everything. Because it's all I have. And so, of course, it's all about perspective.

Moving to Asheville has taught me so much about who I am. I've become much more settled in what is important in life and what is worth fighting for.

I am so thankful that I'm out of the dorm. I loved it when I was there...but fifteen years was enough.

And? I'm totally okay with not being in a classroom. I miss aspects, of course, but I certainly don't miss the stress. Not one bit.

I like that my life is my own, that I call the shots, and that I get to decide where to focus my energy.

I like so many things.

And, of course, I have made new friends here. I miss Raylene. I will always miss Raylene. She's one of a kind. But I have Tammy and Erin and Nancy and Joy and Caroline and Heather and ... well, many more who, too, are one of a kind.

And so, my weekend was amazing. It was filled with so much goodness. And today? Well, it was amazing as well. It was the perfect kind of day.

And I am thinking that I have so many more to come--many more perfect kinds of days.

The only thing missing is a steaming cup of chai.

But I do believe I'm going to fix that problem...right now.

4 comments:

  1. Vonda-I love that you had a perfect kind of day...and took the time to blog about it! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you heeded Erin's warnin .....er suggestion to blog! It's akways so much fun to open what is the little gift of a new blog from you!! I'm glad we got the blessing of you when Missouri lost you! And I'm super glad you've found such peace here because you can't leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I LOVE THIS. It's so true. Missouri was so wonderful in so many ways, but so is Asheville. I'm so glad you like it here. And that's so true- that life is all about perspective. Miss you! I had a really perfect weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good! So glad you are here!! and fun to hear about other special chapters in your life. You bring them all into today. Hope today is a cozy different day too. And I agree with Tammy. You are stuck with us!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...