Wednesday, February 18, 2015

'Round and 'Round

When I am at work, I try to run the stairs several times a day in order to offset hours of sitting. But today? Well today I was lazy. And so, when I got home this evening, I decided it was payback for 8 hours of sitting. I changed into my sweats, threw on my heaviest jacket, gloves, hat, scarf--whatever I could find to offset the reality that it was 20 degrees outside and falling fast--and headed to the track.

Together, Piper and I went 'round and 'round, encouraged by the fact that the faster I walked, the warmer I felt. Parts of the track were rather treacherous and I found myself slipping dangerously a couple of times. Funny how, now that I'm nearing fifty (gosh that sounds old), falling takes on a whole new meaning. What if I broke my hip?

Several years ago, when we lived in Wisconsin, I got out of our Jeep one time in the middle of winter, slipped on the ice, and fell flat on my hip. It was bruised for literally months. I was in my 30's then--but that experience made me cautious.

I digress.

I happen to love Rob Bell. He is fresh, exciting. He puts a new twist on old ideas and gives much room for thought. And so, I have subscribed to his podcast: Robcast. Clever. When I got home this evening, I checked out "My Podcasts" and realized I had a new Robcast! Good news! And so, that reality spurred me on to head outdoors for some exercise as I only listen to podcasts when I am circling the track...by myself...'round and 'round...

It's rather monotonous.

This particular Robcast was about how we are all made up of these atoms, particles, and every seven years, we are made up of completely new atoms and particles. So we have the same body but it's comprised of completely different "parts." And these atoms and particles that make up my body? They, at one time, made up other people's bodies. These atoms/particles just keep doing their thing, moving from one living being to the next, from generation to generation...

I'm sure my explanation is lacking--but what he had to say was absolutely fascinating.

I've heard this "stuff" before: quantum physics.

(But anything with the word "physics" in it pretty much scares me away. I'm not exactly a science geek.)

Grammar geek? Sure.

But not science.

But it just goes to show how we are all connected. We all have hopes and dreams and desires and strengths and shortcomings--and we all, for the most part, do the best we can with what we have.

Just like those from ancient days. And just like those who will follow us.

Same atoms. Same particles. Different story. Different life.

And yet...not that different after all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness is that for real?! We are made up of other people? That is so mind-blowing. I want to read his books!! Also, I didn't know that story about the Jeep! Sounds painful. And I miss walking the track with you.

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...