Thursday, February 20, 2014

No More C's

Yesterday as I was walking home from class, I looked up and there, coming down the hill towards me, was Jace--his blue minion hat on, the tails swinging. He loves that hat--wears it almost constantly. He grasped a white envelope in his hand, and as soon as he saw me he raised it in the air. "Mom! I got my grades! I haven't opened them yet! You can look first!"

And so we came inside together, sat down, and I opened the envelope while he hovered over me, anxiety in his eyes. And there before us was a sheet of paper proclaiming so much academic success: all A's and B's. Good job, buddy!  I'm so proud of you! He chattered a mile a minute, so happy with himself. He has worked so hard, desperate to stay out of the C zone. And he did it.

Regardless of our age, goals are so important. They keep us looking up and moving forward. Landon came into my office yesterday afternoon and we had the best conversation. I just love Landon. He has been my lifesaver for two years now. He graduates in May and I just don't know what I will do without him. But anyway, we talked about so many different things, but one of our topics was about that very thing: moving forward in life. Sometime we get mired down in bad relationships or depression or difficult circumstances--or even poor decisions. But whatever the case may be, God is always moving us forward, moving us towards a better future.

I need to focus on personal goals. I need an end in sight. Sometimes the day to day to grind becomes all-consuming and I forget to move forward on a personal level. I was thinking yesterday how I settle for the mediocre far too much in life. I admire perfectionistic people. I admire those who...everything they touch turns to gold.

And so...I am going to create a list today--a list that reflects personal accomplishment. I am going to try harder to get A's and B's...no more C's for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...