Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Fall in Texas

It is cold outside this morning.

Of course, “cold” is relative. I have discovered that recently. Now that I live in Texas, my body thermostat has adjusted because, of course, Texas tends to be warmer than most states we’ve lived in. 

A couple of weeks ago, we had a “cold spell” for a couple of days that interrupted our 90 degree weather. One of those evenings, Roy and I were out on the back acre of our land where we have wood piled high from all of the trees we’ve cut down. (I say “we’ve” as though I’ve had a big part of that….) Anyway, the crisp air made me shiver and I said to Roy, “I think we should build a fire!” 

Roy looked at me and smirked. “Vonda. It’s 72 degrees.”

I hope I don’t freeze to death this winter when it gets down to the 50’s.

Anyway, my point is - we have officially hit fall weather, I do believe. Mornings are consistently cooler now and even the high of the day can withstand long sleeves made of a lighter material. People have pumpkins decoratively placed in their yards, and once in awhile I spy trees with golden leaves. (Not a common sight in Texas…)

It’s time to bring out the flickering candles, simmering soups, and cozy sweatshirts. My favorite season has finally arrived.

Yesterday, Roy and I were walking around and checking out the trees on our land. A few of them need a lot of work as they have been neglected for years. One of the trees out behind our storage shed is enveloped with dead vines that need to be cut off of it. It looks like a permanent Halloween fixture - its bare branches arching up to the sky, trying desperately to escape the suffocating dead vines that have turned dark and stiff. A few weeks ago, Roy cut the vines at their roots, but a wasps’ nest was hidden in the midst of the branches, and they found Roy an unwelcome visitor. So he never finished the job of removing the vine from the top of the tree — which will definitely require a tall ladder to reach.

Anyway, as we were looking around, we heard the Lewis family drive up with their last load. (As of last night, they are officially moved in next door.) And so, we strolled over to help them unload their pickup and their van, both piled high with boxes and such.

Yeah. We’re nice like that. 

(I’m pretty sure that’s about the extent of our help with their moving adventure…but we won’t talk about that right now.)

When we finally got home from our evening adventure, our house reeked from fish that Roy cooked himself for dinner. Can I just say, I hate that disgusting fish smell? And so, we both went to work spraying air freshener and lighting candles while I begged Roy to please not ever do that again. Ew.

And then we settled down in our rocking chairs that now sit side by side in the living room. We recently acquired an old La-Z Boy rocking chair that my father bought back in the day. I seriously have no idea how old this chair is. But once we redo the back and add some stuffing to it, it’ll be as good as new. This chair has made the rounds. Dad passed it on to Tami who passed it on to Lori who has now passed it on to me.

And I love it.

When we first brought it in, Jace walked by, wrinkled his nose, and said, “Please tell me you’re not keeping that chair.”

“Oh, but I am,” I proudly proclaimed.

And I am. I love this new addition to my living room. It’s comfortable and homey and it reminds me of my sweet father who warms my heart.

Fall in Texas may pale in comparison to fall in the Smoky Mountains when it comes to beauty. But for me? 

Well, there’s no other place I’d rather be.




1 comment:

  1. I’m so happy for your happiness. I miss you like crazy but happy is a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...